History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trent and Mersey Canal Aston Lock and Aston Lock Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Aston upon Trent, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8585 / 52°51'30"N

Longitude: -1.3708 / 1°22'14"W

OS Eastings: 442460

OS Northings: 329181

OS Grid: SK424291

Mapcode National: GBR 7H3.VMF

Mapcode Global: WHDH7.XDDZ

Entry Name: Trent and Mersey Canal Aston Lock and Aston Lock Bridge

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82995

Location: Aston upon Trent, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Aston upon Trent

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Aston-on-Trent All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Listing Text

SK 42 NW PARISH OF ASTON-UPON-TRENT SHARDLOW ROAD
4/10 (East Side)
Aston Lock and Aston
Lock Bridge
II
Lock, gates, leat and canal bridge. 1770, by engineer James
Brindley, with later rebuilding . Red brick chamber, partly
rebuilt in blue brick, with stone and concrete copings, plus
metal and wooden gates, and red brick bridge with stone
dressings. Chamber is approximately 12 feet deep and has been
largely rebuilt to west side. To either side there are small
metal bollards and east side has C20 steps to centre. Both sets
of gates have wooden frames with metal plates attached and metal
balance beams, weighted with concrete, also with concrete
semi-circles plus brick steps to either side. South gates have
rack and pinion paddle mechanisms and iron handrails. Northern
gates have barrel gearing. Leat runs to west side of the
chamber. Bridge to north end has single segmental brick arch on
tapering stone and blue brick jambs. North side has stone
keyblock inscribed 'JB 1770'. Plain parapets over have
chamfered stone copings and the walls curve outwards to each
end, finishing in square piers. South side of bridge has small
C20 metal bridge attached. Built as part of the Trent and
Mersey Canal.


Listing NGR: SK4246029181

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.