History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sunken Gardens at Site of Drakelow Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Drakelow, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7806 / 52°46'50"N

Longitude: -1.6459 / 1°38'45"W

OS Eastings: 423978

OS Northings: 320389

OS Grid: SK239203

Mapcode National: GBR 5F1.QPB

Mapcode Global: WHCGC.PCFP

Entry Name: Sunken Gardens at Site of Drakelow Hall

Listing Date: 12 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334614

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82950

Location: Drakelow, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE15

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Drakelow

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Linton and Castle Gresley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Branston

Listing Text


SK 22 SW PARISH OF DRAKELOW WALTON ROAD
1/18 (North Side)
Sunken Gardens at Site
of Drakelow Hall
GV II

Sunken garden walls and terraces. 1902 by Reginald Blomfield
for Robert Gresley of Drakelow Hall. Brick and ashlar.
Rectangular plan with River Trent to north side and raised
terraces to other three sides. Central ashlar pavilion to south
side with moulded semi-circular arch plus large double keystone
flanked by attached Tuscan columns. Pavilion has balcony to top
with flight of steps to either side. Vase balustrade now mostly
missing. Inside the pavilion is a plaque inscribed 'Robert
Gresley 11th Baronet built these terrace AD 1902 as a monument
to the memory of his beloved mother, Laura, Lady Gresley'.
Attached to either side of the pavilion there are high rubble
retaining walls with moulded circular niches on moulded stone
brackets, and rusticated buttresses. East and west retaining
walls are of brick and have large segment headed recesses to
south end and a series of oval brick niches on brick corbels to
north. Beyond to north at a lower level, there are rusticated
semi-circular headed brick archways with large double keystones,
which lead out of the garden. The short walls to either side,
have bands of tile hanging. The northern ends of the terraces
each have a brick retaining wall with a semi-circular headed
arch of alternating coloured bricks enclosing a small semi-
circular headed niche. Drakelow Hall was demolished in 1934 and
Drakelow Power Station now occupies most of the site.


Listing NGR: SK2397820389

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.