This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.307 / 53°18'25"N
Longitude: -1.9253 / 1°55'31"W
OS Eastings: 405072
OS Northings: 378896
OS Grid: SK050788
Mapcode National: GBR GZZ6.Z7
Mapcode Global: WHBBL.D4DM
Entry Name: Gates, Gate Piers and Screen to Bank Hall
Listing Date: 12 April 1984
Last Amended: 14 July 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334795
English Heritage Legacy ID: 81980
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK23
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chapel-en-le-Frith St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Derby
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH
178/6/3 BANK HALL DRIVE
12-APR-84 GATES, GATE PIERS AND SCREEN TO BANK HALL
(Formerly listed as:
BANK HALL DRIVE
GATES AND GATE PIERS TO BANK HALL)
Gates, gate piers and screen to Bank Hall, erected in 1867 to the designs to J Lowe of Manchester.
The gates and screen are in cast iron supported by piers of Ashlar.
There is a central double gate for vehicle access with a single side gate for pedestrians to the left and a pier at each end of the curved decorative entrance screen. The three main piers carry the gates and stand approximately 2 meters high with square moulded bases. Above the base each face of each pier is defined by a rectangular panel created with the use of decorative stone beading with small flowers depicted within each corner. Above the panels a moulded cornice is surmounted by a shallow pyramidal Ashlar cap. Slightly shorter and less decorative piers support the cast iron screen at each end.
Each of the double gates has five vertical bars, a curved diagonal tie and horizontal bands below. The lower section has scrolls of thorny stems with a seven petalled flower in the centre and a band of scroll decoration above. To the side of the curving tie bar, ornate vine like decoration with one sided palmette leaves define the upper corners of the main gate. The side gate is of a similar style but with crossing curved bars marking the central panel, the initials 'HCR' (Henry C Renshaw) are cast at the cross point. The screen linking the main gates to the outer piers is curved in plan and sits on a low stone wall, it is simpler in design than the gates but continues the horizontal banding along the top and lower edge of the screen and scrolling decorative detail along the lower edge.
The gates, gate piers and elaborate screens to Bank Hall were built in 1867 by J. Lowe of Manchester for Henry Renshaw. Documents dating to February and July 1867 from J. Lowe to the owner confirm the cost and illustrations of three options for the intricate detailing of the gates. The first document provides three options for the gate and screen design of which option three was finally selected and survives in situ today, the second document is an estimate for the work which amounts to £11 and 15/-.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION
The gates, gate piers and screen to Bank Hall are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: as an imposing and impressive entrance to Bank Hall (Grade II). They are a distinctive example of their type.
* Historic Interest: Documentary evidence of the designer and cost adds interest.
* Group Value: Still functioning as an entrance the gates, gate piers and screen have group value with Bank Hall which is designated at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings