History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Draycott Mills Front Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Draycott and Church Wilne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8943 / 52°53'39"N

Longitude: -1.3435 / 1°20'36"W

OS Eastings: 444264

OS Northings: 333184

OS Grid: SK442331

Mapcode National: GBR 7GR.H57

Mapcode Global: WHDH2.BJH0

Entry Name: Draycott Mills Front Range

Listing Date: 2 May 1986

Last Amended: 26 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82194

Location: Draycott and Church Wilne, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash

Civil Parish: Draycott and Church Wilne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Wilne St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Risley

Listing Text

In the entry for:

DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET
SK 43 SW
(west side)
3/8 Market Street Factory
II

The entry shall be amended to read:
SK 43 SW DRAYCOTT & CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET
1194-/3/8 Draycott Mills front range
2.5.86
II

Cotton and lace factory and attached engine house. Now in multiple occupation. 1840-1850,
with rear wing dated 1860. Red brick, with ashlar and blue brick dressings and gabled and
hipped slate roofs. Plinth, eaves cornice and coped parapet. Windows are round headed cast
iron casements with glazing bars, set in'recessed panels. Ground floor windows have rubbed
brick heads, those above ashlar heads with linked lintel band. 2 storeys, 15 bays. Projecting
centre, 3 bays, with angle pilasters and shallow pediment containing a roundel. Moulded round
arched doorcase, painted ashlar, with panelled double doors and traceried cast iron fanlight.
Over the door, a wrought iron bracket lamp. On either side, 6 windows on each floor, plus an
additional ground floor window to left of centre. Outside, an attached plinth, formerly with a
railing. Right return has 2 full height recessed panels, with a door to left. Left return,
incorporating the engine house, has 4 windows, with altered openings to the ground floor.
Rear elevation has similar fenestration, with a central segment arched cart opening with
rusticated surround. To right, engine house with door to beam floor to left, and tall blocked
opening above a window to right. Central rear wing, dated 1860 on rainwater head, 2 storeys,
4 bays, in the same style as the front range. Adjoining the front range, a through passage with
elliptical arched rusticated openings and cast iron guard stones. Under the arch, cast iron cross
beams framing a hoist trap. On the south side, to left, a porch, 2 storeys, shouldered on each
floor and topped with a stack. Segment arched double doors, and above, a lunette. North side
has blocked doors and windows in the right bay, and a bearing box, from which drive was
transmitted to an adjoining building. Interior: front range has a central row of octagonal cast
iron columns to the ground floor. Panelled cast iron cross beams carrying a boarded wooden
floor. Some columns replaced by RSJs. Roof structure not accessible, but reported to be
wrought iron trusses. Rear wing has similar cast iron columns, cross beams and floors. Roof
structure concealed, but wooden tie beams with iron tension braces are visible. This building
was probably used for the manufacture of lace from cotton yarn produced on the site. It forms
the architecturally distinguished facade to an integrated site for the manufacture of cotton yarn
and lace.

------------------------------------

PARISH OF DRAYCOTT AND CHURCH WILNE MARKET STREET
SK 43 SW
3/8 (West Side)
Market Street
Factory
II

Cotton factory. 1842 with minor alterations. Red brick with
gauged brick and stone dressings, also brick and stone plinth.
Hipped graduated slate roof, hidden behind wide, coved eaves
cornice with blocking course above. Two storeys and 15 bays,
with three central bays advanced. Each bay has a two storey
blind semi-circular headed niche with moulded stone head and
continuous moulded stone impost band. To centre is a moulded
semi-circular painted doorcase with raised and fielded double
doors below a traceried iron fanlight. Over the door is a
curved iron bracket, formerly supporting a lantern. To either
side there are small pane iron windows with small opening
casements below semi-circular gauged brick heads. Six similar
windows to either side, plus a similar inserted window
immediately south of the central three bays. Above, fifteen
similar windows at the top of the niches. Above the three
central bays is a shallow gable with a circular stone plaque
with shield on. Rear of the building has rusticated segmental
arches through the rear wings. Interior has wooden floors
supported on iron columns.


Listing NGR: SK4426433184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.