History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haddon Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Nether Haddon, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1938 / 53°11'37"N

Longitude: -1.6496 / 1°38'58"W

OS Eastings: 423504

OS Northings: 366363

OS Grid: SK235663

Mapcode National: GBR 580.PS3

Mapcode Global: WHCD7.MZND

Entry Name: Haddon Hall

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81025

Location: Nether Haddon, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Nether Haddon

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Bakewell

Listing Text

SK 26 NW PARISH OF NETHER HADDON HADDON ROAD
2/28 (North Side)
29.9.51 Haddon Hall
GV I


Large double courtyard, fortified manor house. Seat of the Dukes of Rutland
and built by the Vernon family. Fragments of C12 work but mainly of two periods
with the upper courtyard built mainly in the second quarter of Cl4 and the lower
courtyard built mostly in C15, but also with major refashionings and alterations
of C16 and C17 and a major restoration between 1920 and 1930, supervised by Mr
Leonard Stanhope, the Clerk of Works. Limestone and gritstone rubble and ashlar
gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Leaded roof, mostly hidden by
embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, roofs and parapets mostly C20.
Numerous stone ridge and side wall stacks, mostly C20, some with crenellated tops,
plus massive late C15 external stacks to west side of Great Hall and, possibly
C14, corbelled out stone stacks to north walls. Two storeys with four storey
north-west gatetower, and three storey eastern Peveril Tower and north-east
lodgings to upper courtyard. Double courtyard plan on sloping site with upper
courtyard to north-east and lower courtyard to south-west. Upper courtyard has
Peveril's Tower, the original entrance, and the state bedroom to east range, Long
Gallery to south and the present Duke's apartments to north, whilst the lower
courtyard has the continuation of the private apartments and the north-west entrance
tower to north, offices and lodgings to west and the Chapel and the Earl's Bedroom
to south, between the two courtyards the Great Hall and its service rooms.
North elevation has late C15 entrance tower to west with C14 kitchen range to east
and beyond the Duke's apartments, mostly C17 but much restored. Entrance tower
has steps up to moulded, shallow pointed arch with hoodmould and double studded
oak doors. To west a slit window and beyond an ornate ashlar, stepped buttress with
relief carving to upper part. Above door a blank plaque with hoodmould and 3-light
cavetto moulded mullion window with pointed lights and incised spandrels, set in
ovolo moulded recess with hoodmould. Above again similar plaque, but decorated with
upturned acorns, and similar 3-light window. Similar blank plaque and window over
with large coat of arms immediately above, breaking through the moulded stringcourse
with gargoyles,on to the parapets. Beyond the C14 stacks to east, a Cl7 wing with
range of recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Attached to west corner of tower
an embattled ashlar wall with four-centred arched doorcase with hoodmould, under
large coat of arms of the 'Kings of the Peak', which has to either side a carved
frieze of the Vernons family shields. West side of tower has polygonal staircase
turret to south corner, corbelled out at first floor level.
Garden front to south of limestone and gritstone rubble with gritstone quoins and
continuous moulded sill bands to first floor windows and continuous moulded eaves
stringcourse. Four bay, early C17, section to east with advanced square, two
storey bay flanked by canted, two storey, bay windows with another window to east,
and attached to west a five bay C16 section, much refashioned in C17, with the Chapel
beyond to west. Eastern section has a range of recessed and ovolo moulded, double
transomed windows to Long Gallery at first floor level with recessed and chamfered
windows below. Lower section attached to west with two storey canted bay window
with large carved crest on parapets, beyond. To west again three, first floor,
oriel windows, each with recessed and ovolo moulded mullion and transomed windows,
central oriel with double angled sides. To extreme west, the Chapel, set at a
different angle, with Perp 5-light east window, two flat headed Perp chancel windows,
C13 lancets in the south aisle and C15 cusped clerestorey windows. To opposite
side of the Chapel in the lower courtyard stands a C15 octagonal bell turret with
cusped Y-tracery arches to all sides at the top. Attached to east end of the Chapel
the remains of C14 timber walling, now mainly enveloped in the late C16 rebuilding
of the Earl's Bedroom which has mullion and transomed canted bay windows at first
floor level. Great Hall to east range of the lower courtyard has C14, 2-light,
low transomed, windows with central quatrefoil over cusped lights, to either side
of late C15 external stack. To north C15 three storey porch and to south projecting
parlour wing.
Interior - the Chapel has two bay arcades of double chamfered pointed arches,
that to north on C15 capital and polygonal column, that to south on mutilated
late C12 scalloped capital and column. Fine 'grisailles' wall paintings to nave
and early C17 oak pews and furnishings, inscribed 'GM 1624'. C15 stained glass
to east, north and south windows, east one inscribed 'Ornate pro animabus Riccardi
Vernon et Benedicte uxoris eius qui fecerunt anno dni 1472'. Below east window
a C14 Nottingham alabaster reredos, introduced in C20. C12 plain circular font
with C17 cover of double curved scrolls meeting at central knob and 1894 marble
tomb to Robert Manners, with figure of dead boy to top and coats of arms and heads
of family to sides, to south side of nave. Opposite a C15 stoop on octagonal stem
with crenellated top. Great Hall has C15 timber screens passage with cusped
panelling and gallery over, also arched braced roof dated 1923, C16 panelled lobby
to south through to parlour and C16 panelling to the walls; large cavetto moulded
fireplace to west and four,four-centred arched doorcases to north of screens
passage, eastern one opens on to the staircase up to the gallery, whilst the other
three lead to the kitchen, pantry and buttery, all have original oak studded doors.
C14 kitchen has two massive segmental fireplaces, impressive C17 oak kitchen
furniture and C16 chamfered cross beam roof supported near centre by braced wooden
pier. Bakehouse beyond to east with breadovens and dough troughs, with slaughter
house beyond again to east. Parlour to south of the Great Hall has its original
cl500 painted ceiling, and panelling throughout,dated 1545, with carved frieze
next to ceiling. Above is the Earl's Bedroom, refashioned in C17, when plasterwork
frieze and ceiling, and panelling inserted. Beyond this room to west another
apartment with the remains of C14 timber walling still visible. Long Gallery
and State Bedroom to east, both C17. Long Gallery has classically inspired
panelling, hugh windows and plasterwork ceiling. State Bedroom beyond, has fireplace
with elborate plaster overmantle similar to those at Hardwick. Sources see
Country Life CVI (1949) December 23, pp 1884, 'Haddon Hall' by Christopher Hussey,
The Royal Archaeological Institute Journal Vol 118, 'Haddon Hall and Bolsover
Castle', pg 188 by P A Faulkner and the National Ancient Monument Review Vol I
'The reinstatement of Haddon Hall' by John Swarbrick pg 135.


Listing NGR: SK2350466363

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.