History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Alkmonton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9439 / 52°56'38"N

Longitude: -1.7229 / 1°43'22"W

OS Eastings: 418717

OS Northings: 338541

OS Grid: SK187385

Mapcode National: GBR 49P.H6T

Mapcode Global: WHCFK.H8SF

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 13 September 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335021

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81235

Location: Alkmonton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Alkmonton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Alkmonton St John

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Yeaveley

Listing Text

SK 13 NE PARISH OF ALKMONTON LONG LANE
5/5 (South Side)
13-9-67 Church of St John
GV II

Parish church, 1843. Built for Thomas W Evans. Flint pebble walls with stone
dressings and plinth, plus timber framed south porch. Plain tile roofs with inverted
fishscale tile bands, stone coped gables with moulded kneelers, carved eaves corbels
and ridge cross to east gable of nave, plus octagonal stone bellcote to west, with
leaded spire. Nave, lower chancel, north vestry and south porch. Early English style.
West elevation has full height widely projecting central buttress, flanked by diagonal
walls to either side at the base, with small lancets topped by hoods creating small
triangular shaped room. Above to either side of the buttress, a single tall lancet
with hoodmould, and capping the buttress at the gable ridge, an octagonal bellcote
with alternating chamfered lancets and plain pilasters, the whole surmounted by a
leaded spire. Full height stepped buttresses to corners of nave. North elevation has
three tall chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and stepped buttresses between. North
vestry has a chamfered pointed west door, 2-light chamfered mullion north window and
eastern lancet with hoodmould. East chancel wall has angle buttresses with stringcourse
between and above triple stepped lancets with continuous hoodmoulds. South chancel wall
has two chamfered lancets with hoods and buttress between. Two similar taller lancets
to south nave wall, also with buttresses and to far west the timber framed south porch
with leaded side windows, pointed doorcase and applied studding to front. Interior has
pointed chamfered chancel arch, scissor truss roof to chancel and type of crown post
roof to nave. Pulpit,altar back and chancel panelling all contemporary, with cusped
panelling. Pews also original and have fleur de lys poppyheads. East window of 1904
by Abbott & Co. Large circular stone C12 font near south door.


Listing NGR: SK1871738541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.