History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longford Mill and Attached Weir

A Grade II Listed Building in Longford, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9344 / 52°56'3"N

Longitude: -1.6743 / 1°40'27"W

OS Eastings: 421986

OS Northings: 337489

OS Grid: SK219374

Mapcode National: GBR 5C8.3HJ

Mapcode Global: WHCFL.7HYT

Entry Name: Longford Mill and Attached Weir

Listing Date: 27 July 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 81271

Location: Longford, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Longford

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Longford St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Hollington

Listing Text

SK 23 NW PARISH OF LONGFORD LONGFORD LANE
6/41 (North Side)
27.7.69 Longford Mill and attached weir
GV II

Watermill, now house. 1857, converted 1972. Red brick with brick and stone dressings,
plain tile roofs with overhanging eaves and brick gable stacks to rear pitch of the roof.
Two storeys plus attics with lower two storey wing to west, three bays plus single bay
wing to west. Central basket headed doorcase with C20 stable door, and to either side
two storeyed,four-centred arched blind niches with 3-light basket headed casements to
ground floor with moulded brick sills and diamond leaded lights. Above, two similar
windows and a central C20 glazing bar fixed light under basket headed arch. Above to
Centre, an inset stone datestone inscribed 'HG 1857' and a hoist platform on scrolled
cast iron brackets, with plain railings round. Gabled attic dormer over with pendant
and below, double plank doors. Attached to west, lower section has central 3-light
basket headed,diamond leaded,light casement and above a small hayloft opening with plank
door and basket arch. To front of mill, below ground level, is a brick retaining wall,
with small segmental arch to west to take the water under the mill, and large segmental
arch to east. Iron wheel is now placed against the east gable wall of the mill, having
been removed from the interior. Interior has no machinery left. Rear of mill has
original sluice gate to west side and attached to west side a stone retaining wall for the
mill pond, which continues to west until it reaches a stone weir, to the east side of
which is a sluice gate with separate channel.


Listing NGR: SK2198637489

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.