This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0156 / 53°0'56"N
Longitude: -1.7372 / 1°44'13"W
OS Eastings: 417729
OS Northings: 346509
OS Grid: SK177465
Mapcode National: GBR 48P.ZKQ
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.9G0J
Entry Name: The Mansion Including Coach House Wall
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79834
Location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Ashbourne
Built-Up Area: Ashbourne
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbourne St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Derby
including coach house
SK 14 NE 1/22 15.6.5l.
Built circa 1685 but facade, Music Room and interior features date from circa
1765 to 1784. Red brick, with bands at 1st and 2nd floor sill height. Corbelled
plaster cornice; parapet with inset balustrades, inset open pediment crowning
central bay. Roof not visible. 3 storeys; of 3 bays. 2 windows each side and
Venetian window centre with semi-circular tripartite window above. One windowed
3 storey portion of older facade remains to west. The garden front has side gables
and a central Doric gabled porch raised on steps and leading to the domed octagonal
Music Room. To the north-east of main facade, the wall, only, of the coach house/stable
remains but this has arched treatment and character and must be regarded in relation
to the group effect here.
Elegant staircase with laced iron balusters and balcony above which is supported
on marble pillars of Ionic Order. Fireplaces, doors and some panelling with
bolection moulding. Plaster ceilings; that of the Music Room with Rococo motifs.
The Mansion was the home of Dr Taylor (vide Boswell) 1710-1788. Taylor was a
friend of Dr Johnson, who frequently stayed here between 1737 and 1784. (Ref
Country Life 28.3.68.)
Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almhouses, The
Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish
Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls.
Listing NGR: SK1772946509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings