This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0161 / 53°0'58"N
Longitude: -1.7353 / 1°44'7"W
OS Eastings: 417852
OS Northings: 346569
OS Grid: SK178465
Mapcode National: GBR 48Q.S4M
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.9GW3
Entry Name: Ashbourne Methodist Church
Listing Date: 23 July 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335181
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79954
Location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Ashbourne
Built-Up Area: Ashbourne
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbourne St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Derby
The following buildings shall be added:
ASHBOURNE CHURCH STREET
822-0/1/10001 Ashbourne Methodist
Methodist church. Dated 1880. Orange/red brick with ashlar
sandstone dressings and terracotta ornament; Welsh slate roof.
2 storeys with basement having symmetrical 1:3:1 bay facade with
corner towers and 1:7 bay right return. Classical details.
Chamfered plinth over basement windows; full entablatures above
ground and 1st floors of facade have terracotta roundels on the
friezes and modillioned cornices. Nosed steps to central entrance
having panelled double doors and fanlight with roundel beneath
archivolt with acanthus keystone; Corinthian 1/2 columns to each
side. Bays 2 and 4 have narrow round-arched windows with apron
panels and moulded sills on triglyph blocks all set in round-
arched recesses with ashlar imposts. Corner Towers have corner
pilasters with panels of terracotta roundels and similar windows
to bays 2 and 4 but largely infilled by more terracotta. 1st
floor: Ionic 1/2 columns between round-arched windows of central
recess; terracotta aprons, moulded sills and imposts, keystones.
The Towers have Ionic pilasters which flank shouldered windows
beneath dentilled cornices. Central pediment with dated
triangular panel in tympanum. Corner Towers with terracotta-
panelled parapets surmounted by balustrades which link corner
dies with draped and finialled urns. Right return: bay 1 detailed
as tower then 7 bays of which the central 5 have segmentally-
arched basement windows and round-arched windows lighting the
church; piers between. Interior: 2 aisles; pitch-pine pews; end
gallery. Later organ in coved recess beneath basket arch on
Corinthian columns; round-arched doorway to each side. Brackets
on carved corbels support flat ceiling with coved edge; tie rods
with scrollwork. Opened March 15th 1881 as the 'New Wesleyan
Chapel'. Rear-right corner of building is linked to church rooms
known as Central Hall, Station Road (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SK1785246569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings