History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tissington Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tissington and Lea Hall, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0681 / 53°4'5"N

Longitude: -1.7408 / 1°44'26"W

OS Eastings: 417463

OS Northings: 352347

OS Grid: SK174523

Mapcode National: GBR 483.QP7

Mapcode Global: WHCDZ.749R

Entry Name: Tissington Hall

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 80413

Location: Tissington and Lea Hall, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Tissington and Lea Hall

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Tissington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Thorpe

Listing Text

SK 17 52 PARISH OF TISSINGTON RAKES LANE
11/143 (West Side)

5.2.1952 Tissington Hall

GV II*

House. Early C17 (traditionally dated 1609), c1750 and 1906 by Arnold Mitchell.
Rubble limestone with sandstone dressings. Stone stacks. Main block of c1609
refaced to the west in c1750. Library wing to the north 1906. Two and three
storeys. Flush quoins. East elevation - main block of five bays. First and second
floor stringcourses and a parapet. Central projecting porch with round-arched door-
way, 4-light mullioned and transomed window above with a major mullion, giving the
effect of two cross-windows placed side by side. Two similar windows to each side wall
of the porch. Flanking the porch on each side, two cross-windows to each floor. Two
more similar bays set back to the south west, through three storeys. Four more
similar bays set back to the north and linking up with the 1906 block which stands
on a west to east axis and the east arm stands at an oblique angle to the main facade.
It is of two storeys with a four-bay east elevation with two full height canted
bay windows and 2 and 4-light mullioned windows. This block was a remodelling and
encasing of an earlier detached building. West elevation - central six bays remodelled
c1750, Three storeys with a parapet and four string bands. Central canted bay
through two floors. Open arcade to the ground floor with round-arches with keystones
and raised stone surrounds over the arches, linked by a string band. Seven glazing
bar sashes above in moulded stone surrounds and six similar, but smaller, glazing bar
sashes in moulded stone surrounds above. Library wing of 1906 projecting to the
north west with a full height canted bay window. Continuous fenestration forming,on
the ground floor, an 11-light window with two transoms and an 11-light mullion window
above. Entrance hall running from the front to the back of the house in the manner
established a little earlier at Hardwick Hall. Early C17 panelling with inter-
secting arches. Gothick chimneypiece and plaster frieze and cornice of 1757. Many
other panelled rooms, much of the panelling of bold and unusual design and probably
of c1620s. Several standard early C18 chimneypieces. C17 dog-leg staircase with
turned balusters and tall turned finials.


Listing NGR: SK1746352347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.