This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9661 / 52°57'57"N
Longitude: -1.5477 / 1°32'51"W
OS Eastings: 430472
OS Northings: 341061
OS Grid: SK304410
Mapcode National: GBR 5C1.5HL
Mapcode Global: WHCFG.6Q70
Entry Name: The Old Rectory and Attached Stable Block
Listing Date: 24 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78898
Location: Kedleston, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE22
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Kedleston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Mugginton and Kedleston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 34 SW PARISH OF KEDLESTON MERCASTON LANE
3/59 (South Side)
The Old Rectory and
attached stable block
Rectory, now house. 1759-60, possibly by Jason Harris. Moved to its
present site in 1771 by James Denston. The design of the main facade
was re-drawn by Robert Adam. Red brick with stone dressings. Hipped
Welsh slate roof with lateral brick stacks. Tiled roof to stables.
Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves cornice. Two storeys over a
basement storey partly underground. Pedimented, symmetrical, three
bay south elevation. The centre bay has a giant recessed blind arch,
with impost band forming a first floor sill band. The ground floor
has three glazing bar sashes in moulded stone architraves, the centre
one more elaborate, with consoles and balustrade. Three smaller glazing
bar sashes above, under gauged brick lintels. Bull's eye window in
the pediment. Three bay east elevation. Central Venetian type doorway
with fluted pilasters and steep triangular pediment on consoles. Narrow
glazing bar sash side lights. Raised and fielded panelled door.
Glazing bar sash to right, under a gauged brick lintel. Three similar
windows above. Lower stable range to west has a south elevation with
a round-arched doorway with stone surround, flanked by large lunette
windows with stone surrounds. One similar window above and a C20
casement window. Interior: Early C18 staircase, open string, with
two twisted balusters per tread. Heavy ramped handrail. Early C18
panelled doors. Upper rooms have bolection mouled door surrounds.
Greek key dado rail in the drawing room. The re-used early C18
features may have come from the old Kedleston Hall which was being
demolished as the rectory was built.
Source: Unpublished information from Mr Leslie Harris, Kedleston
Listing NGR: SK3047241061
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings