History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alfreton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0986 / 53°5'55"N

Longitude: -1.3931 / 1°23'35"W

OS Eastings: 440731

OS Northings: 355885

OS Grid: SK407558

Mapcode National: GBR 7D5.NMJ

Mapcode Global: WHDG2.KCTW

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79052

Location: Alfreton, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Alfreton

Built-Up Area: Alfreton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Alfreton St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Alfreton

Listing Text


SK 40 55 NE ALFRETON CHURCH STREET
(north side)
8/9
Church of St Martin
13.7.66

GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored and north aisle and south chancel bay
added 1868 by T C Hine, chancel enlarged 1899-1901, also with c1930 hall. Ashlar
with leaded roofs to south aisle and porch, plain tile roof to chancel and graduated
slate roofs elsewhere. Western tower, five bay nave with clerestory to south side,
south aisle gabled, north aisle and lower chancel with north vestry, also later
hall added to north of north aisle. Deep moulded plinth throughout. C15 three
stage west tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to eaves height and stringcourses
between the stages. Deeply moulded pointed west door with large 3-light Perpendi-
cular window with transom across lower lights, above. This was moved from the
east end by T C Hine in 1868. Clockface to second stage south side. Bell stage
with pointed 2-light louvred openings with flowing tracery. Slightly projecting
embattled parapets over with central gargoyles to each side and crocketed corner
pinnacles. Large gabled north aisle has shallow pointed 5-light west window with
Perpendicular tracery. Stone coped gable and ridge cross above. North elevation
has five 3-light four-centred arched windows with cusped tracery, one window now
used as doorcase in 1930 hall to north which is of no special interest. East window
of aisle is of 4-lights with geometric tracery. Chancel has small vestry to west,
with flat headed doorcase and cusped single light window to north and 2-light
Perpendicular style window to east. Beyond to east is an attached C19 wall
memorial, a stepped buttress and a 2-light pointed window with flowing tracery.
East window of 5 lights with geometric tracery. Stepped sill band below and
flanking diagonal buttresses. Near base of wall, a fine early C18 stone wall
memorial with flame finial flanked by sculls to the Turner family and above two
datestones, one inscribed 'AD MDCCCC' the other 'Laus Deo Aug XV MDCCCLXIX'. South
elevation of chancel has stepped sill band, central stepped buttress and two 2-light
pointed windows with flowing tracery. Aisle bay against the chancel has segment
headed 3-light windows with unusual Perpendicular tracery to east and south. South
aisle, to west, has four similar windows with stepped buttresses between and gabled
south porch between western two. Porch has double chamfered pointed doorcase with
carved eaves band over and ogee headed niche with C19 statue. Above five flat
headed clerestory windows with flowing tracery. All openings have hoodmoulds with
carved head stops. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of double chamfered
pointed arches with continuous hoodmoulds and foliage stops, south arcade is
original, and has octagonal piers with moulded capitals, northern arcade C19 with
columns. Both arcades have thickened piers one bay west of chancel arch. Tower
has double chamfered pointed arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals,
chancel has similar arch on half shafts with foliage capitals, both have C19 timber
screens across.


Listing NGR: SK4073155885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.