This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2895 / 53°17'22"N
Longitude: -1.286 / 1°17'9"W
OS Eastings: 447696
OS Northings: 377188
OS Grid: SK476771
Mapcode National: GBR MZGD.DH
Mapcode Global: WHDF5.6LW1
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79197
Location: Barlborough, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S43
Civil Parish: Barlborough
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Barlborough St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 47 NE PARISH OF BARLBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
1/27 (East Side)
26.8.65 Church of St James
Parish church. C12, C14, and 1894-9. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone
dressings. Welsh slate roofs, coped gables with plain kneelers and cross finials.
West tower with north vestry and south porch, aisled nave, and chancel with north
vestry and chapel. Moulded plinth to the tower, chamfered plinth to the nave and
chancel. Tower of three stages divided by string courses. To the west is a large
double chamfered lancet. To the south is a deep gabled porch with moulded doorway
of two orders, the inner order dying into the imposts. Trefoiled niche above with
statue. Three-light flat-arched window to west side of porch, with ogee lights. The
north side of the tower has a gabled vestry with chamfered pointed doorway to west
and to the north a flat-arched window of four cusped ogee lights. The middle stage
of the tower has a circular pierced clockface to west and south. Bell-stage has tall
2- light bell-openings almost round-arched, with Perp tracery and a transom.
Battlemented parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Lean-to north aisle has three 2-
light C19 windows with cusped ogee lights. Four 3-light clerestory windows of
cusped ogee lights under flat arches. Taller north chapel has a 3-light Perp window
with triangular head and hoodmould. The C19 vestry beyond has a plain lancet, and to
the east a flat-arched window of four cusped ogee lights. The chancel has diagonal
buttresses and a large 5-light Perp window under a four-centred arch. The chancel
to the south has two 3-light Perp windows under triangular heads, and a buttress
adjacent to a moulded doorway with triangular head and returned hoodmould. Perp
style panelled door. Two re-set gargoyles. Lean-to south aisle has a C19 3-light
east window with cusped intersecting tracery. To the south are four 2-light C19
windows with ogee lights. Four clerestory windows as on the north side. Interior:
Four bay north arcade of c1200, with round arches, stepped and with a slight chamfer.
Octagonal pier and keeled quatrefoil pier, semi-circular respond to east, keeled
respond to west. Leaf capitals. C19 south arcade with octagonal piers, moulded
capitals and slightly chamfered stepped arches. Triple chamfered tower arch, the
inner order with moulded capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on
C19 corbels. Plain plastered arches from the chancel to the north chapel and organ
chamber, and from the north aisle to the chapel. C19 ogee-arched piscina in the
chancel. C19 memorial brass on the north side of the chancel. On the south side of
the chancel is an aedicule wall monument with a skull below, to a rector who died in
1702. Italian C14 painting of The Crucifixion. C19 octagonal font on a clustered
base with marble colonettes. Between the north chapel and the organ chamber are
three 2-light Perp windows, the left hand one genuine C14. At the east end of the
north aisle is an alabaster slab with an effigy of a lady in sunk relief, said to be
Lady Furnival who died in 1395. C19 Perp style choir stalls with poppyheads.
Several windows have C19 stained glass. The chancel has a C19 hammerbeam roof.
Above the chancel arch is a large painting of the Last Supper. Two lozenge-shaped
hatchments (nave west).
Listing NGR: SK4769677188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings