This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1615 / 53°9'41"N
Longitude: -1.4072 / 1°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 439735
OS Northings: 362871
OS Grid: SK397628
Mapcode National: GBR 6B1.YW7
Mapcode Global: WHDFP.CS5Q
Entry Name: Cemetery Chapels
Listing Date: 31 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335449
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79409
Location: Clay Cross, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Clay Cross
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: North Wingfield St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 36 SE TOWN OF CLAY CROSS CEMETERY ROAD
2/21 (North Side)
Pair of adjoining cemetery chapels. 1878. Red brick with sandstone dressings.
Slate roofs with crested terracotta ridge tiles. Stone coped gables, gableted to
eaves and ridge, with moulded kneelers. Ridge finials. Plinth. Corbelled eaves.
Two adjoining chapels with central porches to either side. Central tower between
to south,with trefoil headed lancet to south and Caernarvon arched door to west.
Quatrefoil windows with hoodmoulds, to all sides above. To either side of tower,
pointed 3-light windows with geometric tracery set in recess. Hoodmoulds over.
Above, stringcourse and three, blocked up, stepped niches. Above, in tower, louvred
mullion and transomed bell openings to all sides with cusped lights. Carved string-
course over with corner gargoyles. Pyramidal spire above with corner pinnacles and
traceried lucarnes to sides. Similar, smaller, lucarnes over to all sides. East
elevation: central gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorcase with hood-
mould. Four-centred arched door with tracery above. Stringcourse over, two
florets and a blocked niche in gable. To north and south sides of porch, 2-light
chamfered mullion windowsin terracotta. Trefoil headed lancets to either side.
West elevation identical. Interiors very plain. Eastern chapel used as store.
Western chapel with plain wooden pews.
Listing NGR: SK3973562870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings