This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2341 / 53°14'2"N
Longitude: -1.3905 / 1°23'25"W
OS Eastings: 440782
OS Northings: 370954
OS Grid: SK407709
Mapcode National: GBR 7BM.980
Mapcode Global: WHDF9.MZ22
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79350
Location: Calow, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S44
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Calow
Built-Up Area: Chesterfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Calow St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 47 SW PARISH OF CALOW CHESTERFIELD ROAD
1/2 (North Side)
Church of St Peter
Church. 1869 by S.Rollinson, steeple added in 1887. Coursed, sandstone with
gritstone dressings. Plain and fishscale tiled and slated steeply pitched roofs.
Stone coped gables with cross finials. Nave with south west steeple and north
vestry, chancel with polygonal apse and north vestry. Early English Style. Tower
with angle buttresses with two set offs, the lower ones gableted. Pointed arch
doorway to the south with filleted roll and a chamfer on colonnettes with stiff-
leaf capitals. Trefoil arch set in.C19 plank doors with scrolled hinges. West and
east sides with a low pointed-arched window with cinquefoil set in. Single narrow
lancets above to west, east and south. Bell stage with broaches becoming octagonal.
Four tall lancet bell openings and four small pointed arched openings above the
broaches. Octagonal spire with lucarnes and tiny trefoil lucarnes. South side of
the nave with three 2-light windows with plate tracery and buttresses between.
Chancel with a 3-light window with plate tracery. Polygonal apse with five lancets.
Vestry attached to north side of chancel. C20 vestry attached to north side of nave
with a 4-light window with square section mullions. Two 2-light plate traceried
windows to the right. West window of five stepped lancets within a single arch
with colonnettes. Spacious interior with scissor brace nave roof. Apse with
scissor brace nave roof. Apse with boarded roof painted in 1901. Chancel arch
responds with marble shafts and shaft rings. Tiled floors. Blind arcade around
the apse enriched with dogtooth. Stained glass in most windows. East window
1900 and chancel south 1911, signed by T F Curtis, Ward & Hughes.
Listing NGR: SK4078270954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings