History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Morton, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1366 / 53°8'11"N

Longitude: -1.3927 / 1°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 440725

OS Northings: 360115

OS Grid: SK407601

Mapcode National: GBR 7CS.8QV

Mapcode Global: WHDFW.LF07

Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79360

Location: Morton, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE55

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Morton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Morton Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Stretton

Listing Text

SK 46 SW PARISH OF MORTON HIGHAM LANE
4/12 (West Side)
31.1.67 Church of Holy Cross
GV II*

Church. Late C13, C15 and 1850 by T C Hine of Nottingham. Squared sandstone
and sandstone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, gableted to ridge
and eaves, West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north
vestry. C15 tower of three stages, divided by chamfered stringcourses. Diagonal
buttresses, parapet with battlements and eight pinnacles. 3-light west window,
the arch with almost straight sides. Plain 2-light bell openings to each face
on the third stage again with straight sided arch and hoodmould. Gargoyles above.
The remainder of the exterior all of 1850 by Hine, with Decorated Style tracery.
The south side of the nave with a gabled porch with a single light window to the
left and 2-light windows to the right. Two 2-light windows to the south side of
the chancel. 3-light east window. Gabled north vestry. Gabled north aisle, the
east window with a tripartite arrangement of 2-light centre window flanked by
lower single lights. North side with three 2-light windows. Inside, a late C13
three bay north arcade with circular piers and abaci, semi-circular filleted
responds and double chamfered arches. Tower arch with polygonal responds and
abaci and plain chamfered outer order. North aisle roof erected in 1913, double
hammer beam type with windbraces and shields on the hammers. Massive crude font
with an octagonal bowl in a circular base, probably C11. C19 communion rails
with fretted cusping. C19 chancel screen in Perpendicular Style. On the north
wall, seven early C19 marble and slate memorials, one signed by Joseph Hall
the Younger of Derby and others signed by C.Oldfield of Ashford. Chancel south,
memorial to Elizabeth Heathcote, 1823 by Watson. Jacobean pulpit, Bishop's chair
and communion table. At the west end of the nave, two C18 hatchments with arms
of the Turbutt family. Fragments of a medieval screen and of moulded stones at
the west end of the north aisle. Stained glass in the east window 1854 by
Warrington.


Listing NGR: SK4072560115

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.