This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1757 / 53°10'32"N
Longitude: -1.3961 / 1°23'45"W
OS Eastings: 440461
OS Northings: 364462
OS Grid: SK404644
Mapcode National: GBR 7C6.V5X
Mapcode Global: WHDFP.JFDR
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335463
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79369
Location: North Wingfield, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: North Wingfield
Built-Up Area: North Wingfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: North Wingfield St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 46 SW PARISH OF NORTH WINGFIELD ST LAWRENCE ROAD
4/21 (West Side)
31.1.67 Church of St Lawrence
Church. C12, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed squared sandstone and sandstone ashlar.
Copper roofs. West tower, nave with aisles and south porch, chancel, north transept
and vestry. C15 west tower of four stages, divided by stringcourses. Angle
buttresses. West door and 3-light window above. Clockface to north and south
and pairs of 2-light bell-openings to each face. Frieze of shields and tracery
motifs,and battlements. Embattled nave, chancel and aisles with 2- and 3-light
windows to north and south sides under flat arches, the nave windows with cusping.
East window with reticulated tracery. Vestry window C14 with an unusual tracery
pattern of encircled trefoils. Gabled south porch with a broad ogee-arched doorway
and gableted pinnacles with niches. Pointed tunnel vault with transverse arches.
Studded oak plank door. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1860, the north aisle and
the clerestory restored in 1872 by S Rollinson and there was a general restoration
by R H Carpenter & Ingleow in 1878-80. Set in the south wall of the chancel, a
C14 effigy of a knight within an ogee-arched recess. Inside, four bay arcades
with two circular piers and semi-octagonal responds. Plainly moulded capitals and
double-chamfered arches. The western bay is a C15 addition with semi-octagonal
responds and crude capitals with shields upside down. The tower arch with two
concave chamfers has similar shields set correctly. Double chamfered chancel arch.
C12 window between the north transept and the vestry, large, with nailhead around
the arch and up the jambs and curious elongated volutes to the capitals. Font at
the east end of the south aisle, Norman large & circular with fluting to the lower
parts. Font at the west end of the south aisle, octagonal with curvea sides, dated
1662. In the south porch a slab with foliated cross. Three C14 reliefs. At the
east end of the south aisle the Martyrdom of St Lawrence under a cusped broad
ogee arch. In the vestry north wall, the Annunciation under a crocketed and
cusped ogee arch, and in the east wall, Christ and the Virgin in Majesty with
Angels, a tripartite composition with cusped and crocketed ogee arches. Tomb
recess on the north side of the chancel with a C13 effigy of a knight. By the
south door, a monument to John and Mary Brailsford, 1714, with three composite
columns on brackets and a pediment. Wall memorial on the south wall of the vestry
to Thomas Holland 1776 with draped urn and weeping putto. Other C18 and early
C19 wall tablets, including one to Rev Edward Lowe by J.Hadfield. Nave roof
with C15 moulded tie beams. Early C20 rood screen with the C15 rood stair.
Stained glass in the east window, 1879, by Clayton & Bell. Many other windows
with C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SK4046164462
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings