History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Dronfield, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3017 / 53°18'5"N

Longitude: -1.4739 / 1°28'25"W

OS Eastings: 435160

OS Northings: 378430

OS Grid: SK351784

Mapcode National: GBR LZ48.Q5

Mapcode Global: WHDF2.B8DQ

Entry Name: The Old Grammar School

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79502

Location: Dronfield, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Dronfield

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Dronfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Dronfield

Listing Text

PARISH OF DRONFIELD CHURCH STREET
SK 37 NE
6/22
The Old Grammar School
No 18 Church Street
II
House, formerly school. C17 or earlier with alterations in C18
and C19. Roughcast coal measures sandstone, gable and sidewall
ashlar stacks, some with brick tops. Plain gables and a stone
slated roof. Two storeys, four bays, with sash windows with
glazing bars to the upper sashes, with painted flush stone
surrounds. Two ground floor windows retain glazing bars to both
sashes. Doorway to east end with flush stone surround, and a
C20 glazing door. Single storey range at right angles to the
rear, with low pitched roof. Interior. Large ground floor
room, with evidence of former openings suggesting that a cross
passage separated a single end bay from an open schoolroom. The
reveals to the openings contain C17 graffiti. First floor
fireplace with C17 surround. The school was founded in 1568 in
accordance with the provisions of the will of Henry Fanshawe,
the Remembrancer of the Court of the Exchequer to Elizabeth 1st.
An inquisition held at Derby in 1590 refers to 'a house newly
built called Le Scholehouse with 1 1/2 acres of land and a cottage
adjoining' being conveyed to the Vicar and Churchwardens.


Listing NGR: SK3516078430

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.