History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Granary and Oasthouse to the South-West of Sheerland Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pluckley, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1756 / 51°10'32"N

Longitude: 0.7647 / 0°45'52"E

OS Eastings: 593350

OS Northings: 145456

OS Grid: TQ933454

Mapcode National: GBR RWC.84K

Mapcode Global: VHKKD.6QM3

Entry Name: Granary and Oasthouse to the South-West of Sheerland Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 February 1967

Last Amended: 10 October 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181100

Location: Pluckley, Ashford, Kent, TN27

County: Kent

District: Ashford

Civil Parish: Pluckley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Pluckley

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/206

TQ 9345,
27/13C

PLUCKLEY,
SWAN LANE,
Granary and oasthouses to the south-west of Sheerland Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as: PLUCKLEY, LITTLE CHART ROAD, Granary and oasthouses
to the south-west of Sheerland Farmhouse)

(Previously listed as: Granary and Oasthouses at Sheerland)

14.2.67

II*

Built by Sir Edward Cholmeley Dering, 8th Baronet (1807-1896), in 1838. This
is an imposing building. The granary in the centre of the east front is of
stone. Two storeys. Hipped slate roof. Six Dering windows. Four-centred
doorway in the centre of both floors. Four more similar doorways for carts
on the ground floor to the north. At the north and south ends of the granary
is a cylindrical oast and four more behind to the west. These are also of stone
with conical slate roofs. At the apex of each is a wooden cowl with a fantail,
on which is the figure of a black horse (tile crest of the Dering Family).


Listing NGR: TQ9335045456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.