History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sharsted Court

A Grade I Listed Building in Doddington, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.2893 / 51°17'21"N

Longitude: 0.7969 / 0°47'48"E

OS Eastings: 595119

OS Northings: 158174

OS Grid: TQ951581

Mapcode National: GBR RV1.49C

Mapcode Global: VHKJT.RVNJ

Entry Name: Sharsted Court

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176217

Location: Doddington, Swale, Kent, ME9

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Doddington

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

Sharsted Court

5/7 Sharsted Court

House. C14 to C17, remodelled 1711 (dated on rainwater heads) and
extended 1880's and c.1911. Red brick and plain tiled roofs, with
timber framed wings to rear clad with red brick and flint and flint
rubble plastered gable also to rear. The work of 1711 encased and
maintained the plan of a C14 hall house with 2 cross-wings, the rear
gable of the service wing survives, extended to enclose staircase.
Chalk and flint walls survive to interior of hall. To the rear of
this were added 2 timber framed ranges late C14, extended and remodelled
C16 - early C20 to form a double courtyard, now opened by demolition of
enclosing (south-east) C20 range. Entrance front (north-west):two storeys
and attic on plinth with plat band, raised in centre, projecting wings to
left and right with wide modillion eaves cornices to hipped roofs, and
dormer in each wing with heavy segmental pediment. The left wing with
comtemporary 1 bay extension and separately hipped, with stack at end
left, and 2 projecting stacks at end right. Recessed centre rising to
battlements with central wooden belfry with ogee cupola. Regular
fenestration of 7 glazing bar sashes on first floor, 3 to left, 2 to
right and 2 centre with central blocked window space, and 3 glazing bar
sashes to left on ground floor, 2 cross-windows to right, and 2 double
height glazing bar sashes to centre. All windows with exposed frames,
gauged heads and aprons. Central double three-quarter glazed doors in
projecting and battlemented porch, with Corinthian pilasters, pulvinated
and enriched frieze, and segmental pediment containing crest of winged
demi-bull rampant. To right, early C20 ballroom, 1 storey, 2 glazing
bar sashes, double span hipped roof. Left return front: C18 wing extends
for 4 window bays (glazing bar sashes) and ends in banqueting room added
c.1911 with 2 hipped dormers. Rear: 3 projecting ranges, to left C16
remodelled in C19, timber clad brick and flint; to centre C17 timber
framed range with red brick infill, 2 storeys, plinth,with plat band and
3 wood casements on each floor;to right, the rear of the C20 banqueting
hall. To left on rear wall of main range is flint and rubble plastered
gable, 2 storeys and garret, with kneelered parapet and irregular fenestration
of C19 mullioned windows. Interior: a complex house. Crown post roofs
survive in the two C14 rear wings, the crown posts braced to arched tie beams.
The house was divided in 1374 to allow for a widow's dower house, including
a range at "the west end of the south side of the Great Chamber" and "a new
Chamber at the East side with cellars built under the same" (See E. Selby
Teynham Manor and Hundred - reprinted 1982). This corresponds exactly to
the 2 timber framed ranges (the easterly with cellar) either side of the
surviving gable of the "Great Chamber". The western range is extended by a
range countinuously jettied towards the courtyard, but visible only inside
the building. Two storey hall at present undecorated, leading from it the
Grand Staircase of 1711, spiral balusters around an open well, with
renewed moulded handrail and acorn newel heads, and original bolection
moulded panelling. Back stairs with turned balusters, dog leg with half
landing plan, headed by doorway with keyed arch on imposts.

Newel staircase reversing direction of twist at half flight leads to
attic. Heavy screen of c.1600 to cellar stairs with turned baluster
ornament. C17 panelling survives in some upstairs rooms and re-used in
C20 ballroom. Panelling of c.1711, designed in some cases for specific
paintings and tapestries (now sold) survives in most state rooms and
main bedrooms, as do C18 and early C19 fireplaces. The hall and library
retain 1711 beamed and plastered ceilings; the drawing room and banquet
room with C20 plastered ceiling, the ballroom with wooden ceiling of
geometric panels. The work of 1711 was carried out for Colonel William
Delaune, M.P. (See B.0.E. Kent II 1983. 403; C. Hussey, Country Life,
March 3 and March 10, 1950; E. Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, reprint

Listing NGR: TQ9511958174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.