History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crimea House fort Pitt Grammar School for Girls

A Grade II Listed Building in River, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3803 / 51°22'48"N

Longitude: 0.5146 / 0°30'52"E

OS Eastings: 575087

OS Northings: 167580

OS Grid: TQ750675

Mapcode National: GBR PPV.JWJ

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.VKWR

Entry Name: Crimea House fort Pitt Grammar School for Girls

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336107

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172968

Location: Medway, ME4

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: River

Built-Up Area: Chatham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Chatham

Listing Text

ROCHESTER FORT PITT HILL
TQ 7567
13/37 Crimea House (Fort
24.10.50 Pitt Grammar
School for Girls)
II
Former barracks hospital block. Late C18 or early C19. English
bond gault brick; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys. 6-window
pedimented centre, 5-window flanking wings. Centre and paired
end bays slightly advanced. Centre has 2 tripartite plate-glass
sash windows and blocked round-headed arch to ground; 1st floor
with 3 c.1900 horned plate glass sashes to left and 3 18-pane
sashes (possibly early C19) to right, that to the centre under
a cambered brick arch designed for a larger window now blocked.
Stone dentil shallow pediment. Flanking recessed bays have 3 12-
pane sashes in reveals to each floor (one converted into a door);
the advanced side bays have 2 ground floor 12-pane sashes, the
1st floor with similar sashes to left, 18-pane sashes to right,
all in reveals and under flat window arches. Dentil eaves
cornice. Stepped stone terrace with footings of former verandah.
3 ridge stacks. The building was used as a hospital during the
Crimea war (hence its name) and was visited by Queen Victoria.


Listing NGR: TQ7509367588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.