History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12 and 14, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.391 / 51°23'27"N

Longitude: 0.5023 / 0°30'8"E

OS Eastings: 574197

OS Northings: 168748

OS Grid: TQ741687

Mapcode National: GBR PPN.MV2

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.N9FG

Entry Name: 12 and 14, High Street

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172974

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER HIGH STREET
TQ 7468
7/43 Nos 12 and 14
24.10.50
GV II*
Formerly a pair of houses (probably with shops), now a shop with
offices. They stand end-on to the street and are of the same
build, c.1500, with later additions. The original plan of each
was probably the standard 2-cell, storeyed block with the shop
facing the street. If so, then No 14 was extended to the rear
at an early date, perhaps the first quarter of the sixteenth
century (see blocked window and early door described below).
Lateral stairs (C17 where dateable) possibly in original
position. Timber-framed with plaster infil; the framing consists
of close-set studs with downard braces; crown post roofs. 2
storeys with gabled attic; Kent tiled roofs. Brick stacks in
valleys. Exterior: No 12 with late C20 shop front and door; No
14 with c.1900 shopfront (fluted end pilasters, large glazed
windows with decorative uprights and little rectangular
overlight, tiled plinth, panelled reveal). 1st floor jettied
with floor joists exposed. Most of the framing survives to No
14, but a substantial central section of the 1st floor framing
of No 12 has been altered. Intermediate studs possibly inserted
when the paired leaded casement windows placed under the tie in
the C17 (4 pairs to No 14 2 to No 12); some C20 renewal. The
lower rails to No 12 may mark position of original windows.
Gable framing identical. No 14 has some jettying to rear; C19
warehouse/workshop (with hoist) to rear of No 14. Interior: much
remodelled. Internal party wall has downward braces and studs;
formerly external doorway with 4-centred arch with 5 light
blocked window adjacent with diamong mullions, now part of party
wall. Crown post roofs, that to No 12 with a slightly non-
standard crown-post with run-outs C17 stairs (to No 14) with
stout turned balusters. Plain vaulted cellar.


Listing NGR: TQ7419568747

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.