History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 143,143a and 145 Including Ranges to Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3867 / 51°23'12"N

Longitude: 0.5067 / 0°30'24"E

OS Eastings: 574520

OS Northings: 168278

OS Grid: TQ745682

Mapcode National: GBR PPN.WG5

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.QDRS

Entry Name: Nos 143,143a and 145 Including Ranges to Rear

Listing Date: 2 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336145

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173075

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER HIGH STREET
TQ 7468 SE
(EASTGATE)
10/145 Nos 143, 143A and
145, including
ranges to rear
GV II
Shop frontage uniting 2 separate former houses, now stores and
workshops, to rear. Frontage c.1880, rear of Nos 143 and 143A
C17 and late C18; rear of No 145 Mid Cl8. Note: the shop
frontage is not of special interest but incorporates parts of the
earlier builds. It is 2 storeys, gault brick with Welsh slate
roofs; C20 shop front extends across whole including the central
extrance recess, canted to 1st floor. Windows to this floor are
horned sashes set in heavy architraves. coped parapet. (1)
range partly incorporated within and extending to rear of Nos 143
and 143A. Consist of 2 elements, A Cl7 baffle entry house and,
to the rear (ie N) an C18 house (now derelict). The earlier
house: 2 storeys and attic, timber-framed and weatherboarded with
Kent-tile roof. 3 unit baffle entry plan with central stack, 2
rooms to right (N), one to left. Scattered fenestration: 2 attic
windows of different size, one of 2 lights, the other with top
part of sash only surviving, the rest blocked. 1st floor: 16-
pane hornless sash to left, 1:2:1 oriel to right and a small
casement over baffle entry. Ground: 3 doorways, the baffle entry
with surround, canopy and shaped brackets, and 4-panelled door.
Interior: some framing; ground floor with fragmentary remains of
Cl7 moulded cornices. Better preserved ceilings to 1st floor
rooms with cyma mouldings and arched entrance; some panelling to
attic and minor joinery throughout including fielded panel
cupboard doors with H L hinges. Collar-rafter side-purlin roof.
C18 extension (to N), brick, 2 storeys, all windows to 4-window
range under flat rubbed brick arches, and blocked. Door also
under flat brick arch. A re-used brick dated 1776. Interior of
this building not inspected. (2) range partly incorporated
within and extending to rear of No 145. red Flemish bond brick;
Kent tile roof. 2 storeys, 5 window range. Sash windows (mainly
of 6, one of 16, panes) under segmental rubbed brick arches with
stone sills. Doorway with surround and canopy with 6-panel door.
Window above doorway blocked. Projecting eaves cornice. One
brick dated 1761 may be in situ.


Listing NGR: TQ7453168281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.