This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.279 / 51°16'44"N
Longitude: 0.5231 / 0°31'23"E
OS Eastings: 576072
OS Northings: 156338
OS Grid: TQ760563
Mapcode National: GBR PR1.M34
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.03XW
Entry Name: The Roundhouse at Maidstone Prison
Listing Date: 26 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173249
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME14
Electoral Ward/Division: North
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Roundhouse at
TQ 7656 SW 5/179A 26.7.73
Built 18O9-1811 by Daniel Alexander. The lower floors originally formed the
Keeper's House and there was a chapel on the top floor so arranged that the
inmates could see the Prison chaplain without being able to see any fellow
prisoners. A circular building. 4 storeys and basement the ground floor rusticated.
Slate roof with clock. 8 windows in all. These are modified Venetian windows
on the 1st and 2nd floors and 3-light lunettes on the 3rd floor. Moulded eaves
cornice and a further cornice between 3rd and 4th floors. Stone stringcourse
between ground and 1st floors. The ground floor has 3 light windows set in
segmental arches with keystones. Glazing bars intact to ground and lst floors.
The main entrance is set in a rusticated stone gabled porch with slate roof
and a round-headed doorcase with stone voussoirs and keystone. 1 round-headed
window on each side of the porch. Steps to street. Circular cast iron staircase
All the listed buildings at Maidstone Prison form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7607256338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings