This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2703 / 51°16'13"N
Longitude: 0.5219 / 0°31'18"E
OS Eastings: 576021
OS Northings: 155372
OS Grid: TQ760553
Mapcode National: GBR PR7.6SP
Mapcode Global: VHJMF.0B8J
Entry Name: The College Gateway (All Saints Parish Room) and the College Tower
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173441
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME15
Electoral Ward/Division: High Street
Built-Up Area: Maidstone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/02/2017
TQ 7555 SE 6/71
TQ 7655 SW 7/71
The College Gateway (All Saints Parish Room) and The College Tower.
(Formerly listed as The College Gateway (All Saints Parish Room) and The College Tower, MILL STREET)
Archbishop Courtenay was licensed to build a Collegiate Church in 1395. He died in 1396 and the building was continued by Archbishop Arundel in 1396-1398. The college was for a master and 24 chaplains.
The main surviving building consists of the Gatehouse and to the west of it, the Refectory, Kitchen and Scullery with the Dormitory and Infirmary above. It is of Kentish ragstone in Perpendicular style. The gatehouse is a three storeyed square building containing pointed stone carriage and pedestrian arches on the ground floor and castellated parapet above. Square-headed windows of two trefoil-headed lights each with dripstones over, those on the top floor having two tiers of such lights. Stone ribbed tierceran star vaulting beneath the arches. On the left of the entrance arch is a two-storeyed room with oven probably used for baking bread to be distributed as alms at the gate. Joining this to the west is a two-storeyed range with six square-headed windows containing pairs of cinquefoil-headed lights but no dripstones over. Tiled roof. Stringcourse. Stone chimneybreast in the centre of the north front with modern red brick stack above it. three storeyed tower at the west end of the building known as the River Tower with the Muniment Room on the top floor. Similar windows to the rest of the building and castellated parapet over.
Gateway and Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north and west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The Master's House, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7600055368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings