History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slype at Tq 823 529 in Grounds of Former Leeds Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Leeds, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2466 / 51°14'47"N

Longitude: 0.6112 / 0°36'40"E

OS Eastings: 582342

OS Northings: 152955

OS Grid: TQ823529

Mapcode National: GBR QSV.Z6G

Mapcode Global: VHJMG.JXZQ

Entry Name: Slype at Tq 823 529 in Grounds of Former Leeds Priory

Listing Date: 26 April 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173831

Location: Leeds, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Leeds

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text

In the entry for

LEEDS LOWER STREET
TQ 823 529 (east side)

9/98 Slype at TQ 823529 in
grounds of former Leeds
26.4.68 Priory

-
The entry shall be amended to read:

TQ 823 529 LEEDS LOWER STREET
(east side)

9/98 Slype at TQ 823 529
in grounds of former
26.4.68 Leeds Priory

- II

------------------------------------

LEEDS LOWER STREET
TQ 823 529 (east side)

9/98 Slype at TQ823 529
in grounds of former
26.4.68. Leeds Priory

Slype. Late Medieval or Medieval core, partly rebuilt in C16. West
elevation roughly coursed ragstone with, no plinth. East wall
red brick in English bond on galletted stone plinth with chamfered
coping. Rectangular, lying north-south, approximately 12' broad
and 45' long externally, with thick walls standing to height of
approx. 10'. Formerly with more to top, and with further stone
buildings to north and west at north end. Remains of C19 red brick
chimney stack towards south end of east elevation. 3 rectangular
window openings to east elevation. Doorway in south end with
chamfered stone outer jamb to west side, with broach stop and
hooks for hinges on inside, head missing. Doorway to north end of
west elevation with chamfered red brick jambs, head missing. Interior:
red brick barrel vault in English bond springing from stone inner
walls. 3 east windows with flat stone outer lintels, jambs and cills,
morticed for iron grilles, segmental brick inner heads and splayed
and rebated brick reveals. Priory of Austin Canons dedicated to
St. Mary and St. Nicholas founded ll19 by Robert de Crevequer or
Crevecoeur and dissolved between 1537 and 1540. Scheduled
Ancient Monument.


Listing NGR: TQ8230052900

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.