History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harbour Cross Wall, Sluices, Bollards, Dry Dock, Basin Gates, Wing Wall and Dundee Steps

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ramsgate, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3306 / 51°19'50"N

Longitude: 1.4199 / 1°25'11"E

OS Eastings: 638332

OS Northings: 164605

OS Grid: TR383646

Mapcode National: GBR X0L.KRS

Mapcode Global: VHMCW.KTGC

Entry Name: Harbour Cross Wall, Sluices, Bollards, Dry Dock, Basin Gates, Wing Wall and Dundee Steps

Listing Date: 30 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 171983

Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11

County: Kent

District: Thanet

Civil Parish: Ramsgate

Built-Up Area: Ramsgate

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Ramsgate

Listing Text

RAMSGATE ROYAL HARBOUR
TR 3864 NW + TR 3864 SW
13+ 19/347 Harbour Cross wall,
sluices, bollards,
30.10.85 Dry Dock, Basin
gates, wing wall
and Dundee steps
GV II*
Harbour crosswall, sluices, bollards, Dry Dock basin gates. Crosswall
completed 1779, a plan of Thomas Preston based on Smeaton's 1774 report.
Granite with granite coping. Seven sluices (3 blocked) in wall (to scour
out main harbour), the issuing stream directed by the guide wall, faced
with granite (at east end of crosswall). Inner basin: granite walls, with
iron gates and pedestrian swing bridge. Bricked up eastern entrance of 1821,
with original gates still in position. Wing wall to inner basin: 1837 by
Sir John Rennie, granite with single granite bollard, and with 8 anti-wave
openings enabling smooth passage through to basin. Twelve bollards along
crosswall. Dry Dock: 1789 to 1791 designed by Smeaton, executed with
alterations by Henry Cull. Extended 1816. Part closed off and restored to
dry state with stepped walls. Dundee steps, 1810, in Dundee marble between
west pier and crosswall.

Listing NGR: TR3833264605

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.