History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Granite Column in Rear Garden of Number 5

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2841 / 51°17'2"N

Longitude: 0.1757 / 0°10'32"E

OS Eastings: 551825

OS Northings: 156129

OS Grid: TQ518561

Mapcode National: GBR T4.T4Q

Mapcode Global: VHHPL.0Z7J

Entry Name: Granite Column in Rear Garden of Number 5

Listing Date: 7 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172272

Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Sevenoaks

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Riverhead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

The following entry:-
PONTOISE CLOSE
5280 0/1148
Granite Column in rear
garden of No 5
II
shall be amended to read:-
TQ5155/25 PONTOISE CLOSE
Granite Column in rear
SP1148 garden of No 5
- 7.1.86 II

------------------------------------

PONTOISE CLOSE
1.
5280 0/1148 Granite Column in rear
garden of No 5
II
2.
Probably later C19. Tall Doric column of red Cornish granite, now in rear garden to No 5
Pontoise Close, but originally in the grounds of Bradbourne Hall (demolished). The
column formed the centrepiece of a Druidical circle, some of the remnants of which
remain eg monoliths in gardens to Nos 6 and 8. Thought to have been fashioned and
erected by order of the then owner, Francis Crawshay (1811-78), of the Crawshay family
of Cyfarthfa Castle, Merthyr Tydfil; the Crawshays were amongst leading late C18 and
early C19 iron masters in South Wales, and owned iron tinplate works in the Merthyr
Tydfil area. Francis Crawshay was a member of the Order of Druids of Wales, and is
thought to have trected a Druidical Circle at Pontypridd, when he managed the family
tinplate works at nearby Treforest.


Listing NGR: TQ5182556129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.