This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4265 / 51°25'35"N
Longitude: 0.2275 / 0°13'39"E
OS Eastings: 554960
OS Northings: 172072
OS Grid: TQ549720
Mapcode National: GBR VJ.VD6
Mapcode Global: VHHP0.WDNT
Entry Name: Hawley Manor
Listing Date: 21 April 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336458
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172707
Location: Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley, Dartford, Kent, DA1
Civil Parish: Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Sutton At Hone St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5274 SUTTON-AT-HONE HAWLEY ROAD
TQ 57 SW 3/73 21.4.76
C18 features to a house now mainly mid C19 and 1919. The earlier house first
recorded in 1485 and rebuilt after a fire in 1650 was again gutted by fire and
mainly rebuilt in 1919. The main part at the front is of circa 1919. Two storeys
pebbledashed with red brick plinth. Half-hipped tiled roof with one 4-light dormer.
Projecting wing with tile hung gable having oval window to this end. Mullioned
or mullioned and transomed windows. Quadrant turret in angle of L with flat roof
and hipped tiled porch with oak posts and leaded lights. Attached to the south-
east is a 2 storey portion of circa 1855 of yellow brick having a stone pediment with
brick infill, 3 sash windows and a rendered plinth. Attached to this is a further
wing known as the studio of the same date of stock brick with a tile hung gable
and wooden mullioned and transomed casement window. The wing of circa 1855 and the
studio were built for the Victorian painter Sir William Quiller Orchardson RA
(1832-1910) who lived at Hawley Manor for many years. The 1919 part of the house
has on the first floor a fireplace of circa 1770 rescued from the older house, with
engaged columns and medallions with a reclining female figure and 2 cherubs,
one holding a globe, the other a telescope and books. The ground floor has a mid
C19 marble fireplace with a reclining woman and cherub and fruit in the corners.
The house is included for vestiges of the earlier house and historical interest,
being the house and studio of Sir William Quiller Orchardson RA.
Listing NGR: TQ5496072072
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings