History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ice House in Grounds of Clock House Approximately 150 Metres to South West of the House

A Grade II Listed Building in Darenth, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.412 / 51°24'43"N

Longitude: 0.278 / 0°16'40"E

OS Eastings: 558515

OS Northings: 170570

OS Grid: TQ585705

Mapcode National: GBR X7.W6L

Mapcode Global: VHHP1.RRTY

Entry Name: Ice House in Grounds of Clock House Approximately 150 Metres to South West of the House

Listing Date: 17 March 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 172644

Location: Darenth, Dartford, Kent, DA2

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Civil Parish: Darenth

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Darenth St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Stonewood

Listing Text

1.
5274 DARENTH GREEN STREET GREEN ROAD
(south-west side)
Green Street Green

Ice House in grounds of
Clock House approximately
150 m to south-west of
the house
TQ 57 SE 4/10

II


2.
Circa 1812. Access is gained through a door set in a stone facade. Above the
door are the initials TE and the date 1812. Thomas Edmeades was an owner of
Clock House. A staircase leads downwards for 17 ft and turns into a passageway.
On the right hand side the doorway opens at high level into an ice storing well.
To the left a passage continues to a cold storage chamber. A second staircase,
under the entrance staircase leads to the floor of the ice well, the well has
a diameter of 14 ft and is of brick. The upper portion is domed and pierced by
a shaft to the surface. The cold storage chamber was used for game and meat storage.
The floor is paved with bricks and the rendered walls are lime washed. There
are 38 slots in the walls which held the supports for a circular shelf. Higher
up the walls are other slots and heavy iron rails probably used for suspending
game and meat.
[see Archaeologia Cantiana 1975].


Listing NGR: TQ5858670676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.