History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Anne Court barham Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.207 / 51°12'25"N

Longitude: 1.1623 / 1°9'44"E

OS Eastings: 620988

OS Northings: 150059

OS Grid: TR209500

Mapcode National: GBR W0H.6P7

Mapcode Global: VHLGW.3XBM

Entry Name: Anne Court barham Court

Listing Date: 29 September 1952

Last Amended: 30 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170957

Location: Barham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4

County: Kent

District: Canterbury

Civil Parish: Barham

Built-Up Area: Barham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(east side)

Barham Court and
Anne Court
TR 2050 29.9.52
TR 2150 24/82 30.1.67


This mansion is now divided into flats. Anne Court is the West wing, which
is the oldest portion of the building. C17. Two storeys and attic in red
brick with tile roof with 2 hipped dormers. Three windows, casements with
small leaded panes. Barham Court, the main building, was built in 1735 and
was refurbished and enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Evelyn Stanton in 1911.
It consists of 2 parallel ranges. Two storeys and attic in red brick with
tile roof. Hung sash windows with glazing bars. The west or back range
has 4 window, 4 gabled dormers and a doorway designed by Lutyens in a stone
architrave surround with an oval stone recess over it. The main range faces
east and has 9 windows and 4 dormers. Brick stringcourse and wood modillion
eaves cornice. The centre portion of 5 windows projects with a pediment over
containing a segmental-headed sash window in the centre flanked by small round
windows. Central doorway, originally the front door of the house, with fluted
Corinthian pilasters, curved pediment and half-glazed door. In the north-east
corner a wall links this to a single-storey red brick building added by Lutyens
as a large living room and new a separate flat. This has 5 windows facing
south, a stone recess at its east end, a stone eaves cornice and a hipped tiled
roof. Its east front consists of a recessed loggia containing a pair of stone
columns in the centre supporting a pediment. Its north wall has a massive
chimney breast and 3 windows. To the south-east of the main east front is
a wall treated in a matching style to balance this wing. To the west of the
north-east wing is the main entrance, also added by Lutyens. Nine curved steps
lead to a recessed porch approached by a doorway in a stone surround with
an empty cartouche over it. To the west of this entrance and balancing the
north-east wing is a similar wing added by Lutyens which contained the kitchen
and service quarters. This also has a massive chimney breast in the centre
of its north wall and 4 windows. The interior has a good C18 staircase. Country
Life Article, Volume 45, page 145.

Listing NGR: TR2098250071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.