This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3409 / 51°20'27"N
Longitude: 1.3831 / 1°22'59"E
OS Eastings: 635723
OS Northings: 165639
OS Grid: TR357656
Mapcode National: GBR X0C.VXX
Mapcode Global: VHLGD.XKLD
Entry Name: Barn About 50 Metres East of Ozengell Grange
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171766
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1413/1/143 HAINE ROAD
Barn about 50 metres east of Ozengell
Tithe barn. Late C14 or early C15 with documented repairs of 1464 and some C18 alterations.
EXTERIOR: Timber framed on flint base, clad with weatherboarding (some tarred) with plain tiled roof, hipped to south west and gabled to the north east. Hipped mid-strey. Comprises the four remaining bays of a probable seven bay structure, judging by the offset midstrey position, aisled on both sides. 84 feet in length, 32 feet in width and 40 feet in height.
INTERIOR: Jowled upright posts and passing braces to the aisles, crownpost roof of square section with two foot braces and two head braces and collar beams. From north west to south east first truss is missing one headbrace, second truss is missing two head braces and one foot brace, the third is missing one head and one foot brace, the fourth is missing one foot brace and the fifth truss is missing the crownpost. Longitudinal beam in the north west bay has two unusually long iron repairs dated to mid C15. End bay to south west has some replaced rafters and replaced collars of C18 date. South west end wall retains main beams but infill with diagonal braces appears C18. Midstrey C18 with bolted knees.
HISTORY: King Cnut gave lands in Thanet to St Augustine's Abbey, which owned Ozengell Grange together with perhaps five other barns in the Ramsgate area. Ozengell Grange was part of the mediety of tithes of grain and was appropriated to the sacristy of the monastery for the service and repair of the abbey. In 1464 there are records of Ozengell being paid five pounds, three shillings and a halfpence for repairs which may include the iron repairs to the beam in the north west bay. In July 1539 Ozengell Grange was surrendered to Henry VIII by the Abbot of St Augustine's and it was given to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury Cathedral. They leased it to a Robert Maxted whose family held the parsonage of Ozengell Grange from 1565 until 1765.
Listing NGR: TR3566665656
Other nearby listed buildings