History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1053 / 51°6'19"N

Longitude: 0.3903 / 0°23'25"E

OS Eastings: 567438

OS Northings: 136718

OS Grid: TQ674367

Mapcode National: GBR NRN.PHN

Mapcode Global: VHJN3.QH60

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 15 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336697

English Heritage Legacy ID: 170040

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Lamberhurst

Built-Up Area: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Lamberhurst

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST PARSONAGE LANE
TQ 6636-6736
(north side)
8/203 The Priory
15-6-1988
GV II

House. Circa 1500, extended late C16, late C18 and late C19. Timber framed and part
exposed with plaster infill, extensions tile hung on brick base. Plain tiled roofs.
Complicated building sequence, originally a hall house, extended with lobby entry
wing and with later C18 and C19 accretions. Principal front formed by C16 lobby
entry range, of 2 storeys and attic on plinth with ornamental tile hanging on first
floor and roof with stack to right with iron weather vane dated 1791 and arched
recessed panelled stack to left and 3 hipped dormers. Four mullioned and transomed
casements on first floor with four C20 copies on ground floor and two 4 light C20
casements and panelled door in C18 style doorcase with reeded pilasters and flat
hood. Right return elevation with gable ends of front and C18 rear ranges with
large C19 canted bays on ground floor. The earliest range is exposed to rear, of 2
storeys with close studded frame with jowled posts and steeply pitched hipped roof
with gablets and tall late C16 stack. Interior: front range with staggered purlin
roof (Rochester Diocesan records record re-roofing in 1728, when the property was
2 cottages). Largely early C18 features, including bolection moulded fireplace,
turned baluster stair, panelled doors, cupboards and powder closet; reeded surrounds
to upper fireplaces. Former Parsonage and probable pre-Reformation grange, renamed
1868 when passed to private hands.


Listing NGR: TQ6743836718

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.