History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bayham Leglise

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1054 / 51°6'19"N

Longitude: 0.3571 / 0°21'25"E

OS Eastings: 565110

OS Northings: 136652

OS Grid: TQ651366

Mapcode National: GBR NRM.M3K

Mapcode Global: VHJN3.4GMY

Entry Name: Bayham Leglise

Listing Date: 24 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169982

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Lamberhurst

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST CLAY HILL ROAD
TQ 63 NE
(west side)
3/145 Bayham L'Eglise
24.7.89
GV II

Church, now house. 1870 for Marquess Camden, by David Brandon, architect, extended c.1908 and converted 1985. Random coursed dressed sandstone with
ashlar dressings and plain tiled roof. Nave and chancel with south-east
tower and south porch and north-east vestry. Plinth around whole building,
with corner and occasional side buttresses (especially north nave wall)
and parapet gables to nave and chancel with enriched cross finials. Tower broached to spire with full lucarne stage. Half-timbered porch on
sandstone base, with glazed outer doors and moulded inner door in roll
moulded doorway. Trecusped and paired lancets throughout, with shafted and
grouped lancets to east and west windows with roundels and hood moulds
over, the east window with inserted arched doorway. Simple mullioned
windows to vestry. Main internal arches retained. Built as the Bayham
estate church and an important element in the landscaped park to Bayham
Abbey, the Marquess Camden's house, also by Brandon, and which also
includes the remains of the medieval abbey (in East Sussex).


Listing NGR: TQ6511036652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.