This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2806 / 51°16'50"N
Longitude: 1.0828 / 1°4'57"E
OS Eastings: 615087
OS Northings: 158011
OS Grid: TR150580
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.QJT
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.Q28M
Entry Name: The Archdeacon of Canterbury's House
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170562
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 1558 SW 3/18
THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
(The Archdeacon of Canterbury's House)
Built by Prior Chillenden circa 1400 as guest lodgings. It incorporates
parts of the monastery kitchen and Pentise Gatehouse. The east end has been
rebuilt, following war damage, with the original materials. 2 storeys flint,
brick and some reused mediaeval ashlar, Renewed tiled roof with 4 hipped
dormers. The 1st floor has 3 cambered sashes. The ground floor has 3 double
lancets with hood moulding and 1 triple lancet. The rear elevation is partly
timber-framed and plastered and part flint and stone. At the west end is
a projecting timbered gable on the 2nd floor. Towards the east end is another
gable with a projecting bay window below it supported on 2 wooden columns.
One C15 window of 2 trefoiled headed lights. The other windows are C18 sashes.
Massive flint and ashlar chimney stack. The interior has an overmantel of
circa 1600 in one room.
Nos 20 to 29A (consec), Pilgrim's or Pentise entry attached to No 29,
wall in garden of No 29, wall and gatepiers betwen Nos 28 and 29,
Gateway from Green Court and building adjoining to left, King`s School
Library and Norman staircase form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1507358026
Other nearby listed buildings