History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses and School Attached to Left

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Bardfield, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9513 / 51°57'4"N

Longitude: 0.413 / 0°24'46"E

OS Eastings: 565924

OS Northings: 230835

OS Grid: TL659308

Mapcode National: GBR NFF.P6V

Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.37P0

Entry Name: Almshouses and School Attached to Left

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 22 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 121148

Location: Little Bardfield, Uttlesford, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Little Bardfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Little Bardfield St Katherine

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 63 SE LITTLE BARDFIELD THE STREET
(north side)

2/24 Almshouses and School
20.2.67 attached to left
(Almeshouses formerly
GV II listed)

A row of almshouses with attached school now used as a library. C18 almshouses,
c.1871 school. Red brick with some black headers. Red plain tiled roof with 10
gabled dormers and a larger gable to left over a tall window. 4 red brick
chimney stacks. One storey and attics. 1:4:4:2 window range of diamond leaded
3 light casements with segmental arches, excepting the tall window to left with
central mullion and 3 transoms. 3 pairs vertically boarded doors with flat
canopies over. A large stone plaque above central doors relates the foundation
of a Trust by Sarah Barnard in 1777 to provide almshouses, school house and
house for a school mistress. Sun Insurance Plaque. To the left is the c.1871
red brick and tiled school with gable to road. This with pierced bargeboards.
Crenellated tiles to ridge. Red brick chimney stack. Single storey. Large
window with 2 centred arch of 3 lights with Gothic heads to gable end. 3
windows with segmental heads to right return. Vertically boarded door to left
return. Bell spire to gable. Apex surmounted by a cross. School included for
Group Value.


Listing NGR: TL6592430835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.