This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3041 / 51°18'14"N
Longitude: 0.4796 / 0°28'46"E
OS Eastings: 572939
OS Northings: 159032
OS Grid: TQ729590
Mapcode National: GBR PQS.235
Mapcode Global: VHJM6.8HD3
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179209
Location: Aylesford, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, ME20
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Aylesford
Built-Up Area: Ditton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Aylesford St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
AYLESFORD CP CHURCH LANE
Church of St Peter
Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored in 1878. West tower, nave with south
porch, north aisle and vestry, chancel to nave and chancel extension to north
aisle. Uncoursed ragstone rubble. 3-stage tower, C12 for first two stages with
3 original round-headed windows in west face and 4 in north face; C15 third
stage with string below and string above, below crenellated and coped parapet.
Pointed arch west doorway with moulded surround and boarded and ribbed door.
3-window nave with south porch between first and second windows from left and
with embattled octagonal stair-turret for rood-loft at right end. Decorated
windows, renewed in 1878. C14 north aisle with 3 windows, original to left.
Chancel of C15 with two windows. North chancel lower and C14 in date with two
original windows, that to right blocked. Interior: 5-bay arcade between nave
and north aisle. C15, with hollow chamfers, shafts and plain capitals. Tower
arch of similar date. Timber-braced and trussed roofs with ashlars on wooden
cornices in-nave, north aisle and chancel. Fittings: mostly proprietary, dating
from 1878. Monuments: Brass with figures of knight and lady; John Cosyngton,
d.1426. Tomb chest with recumbent effigies. Colour possibly original. Sir
Thomas Colepeper, d.1604. Marble aedicule with arch over containing pedestal
and urn flanked by figures and gadrooned sarcophagus below with reclining figure
on it; Sir John Banks, d.1699, perhaps by John Nost.
Listing NGR: TQ7293959032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings