This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7834 / 51°47'0"N
Longitude: 0.1307 / 0°7'50"E
OS Eastings: 547074
OS Northings: 211564
OS Grid: TL470115
Mapcode National: GBR LDJ.3W4
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.6FZP
Entry Name: 38, Market Street
Listing Date: 19 June 1981
Last Amended: 21 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119495
Location: Harlow, Essex, CM17
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Harlow
Built-Up Area: Harlow
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 4711 MARKET STREET
Originally part of The Crown Public House (qv), in separate ownership earlier this century and now part of The Crown Public House once more. C15 building, modified in C18 and refronted in late C19. Timberframed building, originally jetted. Exterior now plastered with single pitched slate roof to front with brick chimneystack and rear wing gambrel-roofed and peg-tiled. Three storeys; one window. C20 casement to second floor, C20 12 pane sash to first floor and C20 tripartite sash to ground floor. Rear elevation is weatherboarded and has flat topped dormer, Interior has exposed frame including floor joists of square section to ground floor, jowled posts to first floor. Ground floor has two very rare panels of wall paintings of c. 1700 depicting red and yellow flowers. These are an imitation of Chinese-inspired wallpapers to avoid the wallpaper tax of1712-1836 and high price.
Listing NGR: TL4707411564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings