This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.498 / 51°29'52"N
Longitude: 0.2569 / 0°15'24"E
OS Eastings: 556758
OS Northings: 180088
OS Grid: TQ567800
Mapcode National: GBR W7.9FY
Mapcode Global: VHHNN.DLPZ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 February 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119728
Location: Thurrock, RM15
Electoral Ward/Division: Aveley and Uplands
Built-Up Area: Aveley
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Mardyke
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
5221 HIGH STREET
Church of St Michael
TQ 58 SE 4/16 8.2.60
C12 with C13, C14 and C19 alterations. Rough coursed flint and ragstone
with Roman and C16 brick. Tower and dressings are of limestone. Roofs,
lead, slates and tiles. C12 Nave has C13 north arcade with 2 centred arches,
cylindrical columns with moulded bases and bell capitals. Round headed opening
to roof loft. South arcade is C12, with round arches, C15 clerestory with
C19 windows. C13 north aisle has 2, C15 windows, of 2 cinquefoiled lights.
C19 north doorway. C15 west window. C14 south aisle has original east window.
South wall has 2 windows, of C14, rebuilt C19. C14 south doorway with a
2 centred head. (Now blocked). C13 chancel has C19 east window. North
arcade is original with 2 centred arches, of 2 chamfered arches. South wall
has 3 windows, 2 are C19 with C13 splays and one C15, with 3 cinquefoiled
lights. Doorway of C15, with 2 centred arch. C13 chapel has C19 east window.
Two windows in north wall are C19 but incorporating C15 and C13 material.
C13 west tower of 2 stages with an embattled parapet. Original tower arch
is 2 centred. C15 west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights. C15 west doorway
has moulded jambs and 2 centred head. Bell chamber has 4 windows, of C15,
but largely rebuilt C19. C15 north porch. Nave roof has arch braced tie
beam visible and there is original timber roofing in the tower. 1621, pulpit,
brass to Ralph de Knevington (1370) and other brasses, monuments and C15
Listing NGR: TQ5675880088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings