This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7989 / 51°47'55"N
Longitude: 1.0779 / 1°4'40"E
OS Eastings: 612326
OS Northings: 215615
OS Grid: TM123156
Mapcode National: GBR TQW.3BW
Mapcode Global: VHLD3.M1QT
Entry Name: St Osyth Bakery
Listing Date: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337136
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120014
Location: St. Osyth, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: St. Osyth
Built-Up Area: St Osyth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: St Osyth Saints Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ST. OSYTH SPRING LANE
15/180 Nos. 3,5,7 and 9
St. Osyth Bakery
Row of cottages and shop (no. 9), formerly a house. Late C14/early C15 with
later alterations and rear additions and C19 red brick facade. Timber framed,
brick faced, weatherboarded return and rear wings. Red plain tiled roofs with
black tile diapering. 2 rear and one forward red brick chimney stacks. 2
storeys. 4 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, moulded
surrounds. C19 4 light shop window to No. 9 (far right), pilasters, fascia and
flat canopy on brackets. 4 panelled doors with small paned top lights, moulded
pilasters, frieze, flat canopy on moulded brackets, patera to bracket heads.
Internally some heavy timber frame of C15/C16 or earlier visible in No. 3. Nos.
7 and 9 share the original moulded bridging joist of circa 1400, No. 7 with the
complete ceiling visible, originally jettied to road, each beam, central
principal and the bridging joist moulded entirely with rolls and fillets. A
chimney has been inserted between the two properties, probably C17. Only part
of roof timbers visible at time of resurvey showing an original crosswing
approximately over Nos. 5 and 7. Splayed halved and bridled top plate scarf
circa 1400. Some jowled storey posts visible. Moulded base to storey post in
No. 7. The other chimney stack appears to have been inserted when the brick
facade was added. No entry to No. 5 at time of resurvey. Property known as The
White Hart circa 1760.
Listing NGR: TM1232615615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings