This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9096 / 51°54'34"N
Longitude: 1.0397 / 1°2'22"E
OS Eastings: 609175
OS Northings: 227821
OS Grid: TM091278
Mapcode National: GBR TPG.CMZ
Mapcode Global: VHKG1.Z80F
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120130
Location: Little Bromley, Tendring, Essex, CO11
Civil Parish: Little Bromley
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Bromleys
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 02 NE LITTLE BROMLEY CHURCH ROAD
3/107 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Early C12 Nave. The Chancel was rebuilt C14, lower stages of
West Tower early C15 with the upper stage rebuilt C16. South porch C16. C19
and C20 restorations. Puddingstone rubble, part plastered. Stone dressings.
Red brick to upper stages of West Tower. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel.
Plastered plinth. Splayed angle buttress. Stepped chimney stack to west of
north wall. Memorial plaque, east wall to John Risbie 1761, Elizabeth Risbie
1773 and seven of his children. East window of 3 pointed lights, intersecting
tracery, 2 centre arched head. Wooden crucifix to gable apex. North wall
windows of one trefoiled light. South wall, eastern window of one cinquefoiled
light. Low set trefoiled western window. Between these windows is a moulded 2
centre arched doorway with a plank and muntin door. Nave, north wall eastern
window of 3 cinquefoil lights, moulded segmental head. C12 round headed western
window. To west of this is the C14 blocked north doorway with chamfered 2
centre arch. South wall, C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a 4 centred head
with a C12 round headed window to west and east, the latter blocked. Below the
western window is a memorial dated 1775. South doorway C14, moulded 2 centred
arch, label with headstops, graffiti on jambs. Nailed plank and muntin double
doors with strap hinges, C16. Royal Arms of Hanover above door, said to be cast
by Wallis and Coleman who owned the first Colchester Iron Foundry. C16 timber
framed and plastered South Porch with arched braces to tie beams and arch braced
roof structure, side lights to returns. West Tower of 3 stages, the upper
crenellated and of C16 red brick. Stepped angle buttresses. Plinth. Bands to
parapet and second stage. Early C16 2 light cinquefoiled windows, tracery over,
2 centred heads and stopped labels to each face of bell chamber. Rectangular
stair turret with small lights to second stage of south wall. Round headed
light to secondstage of north wall, C15. Cinquefoiled 3 light west window with
vertical tracery, segmental pointed head, label with head stops. C15 west
doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centred arch, square head, label with head stops and
sunk spandrels. Double vertically boarded doors with upper lights. Interior.
Probably C19 Nave and Chancel boarded barrel vaulted roof, moulded octagonal
king posts, crenellated wall plates, original wall plates to Nave. Chancel. Red
tiled floor to Sanctuary, stone slabs elsewhere. C14 Piscina, moulded jambs, 2
centred arched head, quatrefoil drain. Stone shelf with moulded soffit to north
wall. Circa 1700 altar rails with turned balusters and moulded rails. Circa
1926 panelled reredos. Circa 1914-18 War memorial. C20 stained glass to north
and south depicting Archbishop Laud and King Charles, reading "Remember Charles
Stuart, King and Martyr 1649". No Chancel arch. Nave. Panelled oak pulpit.
C20 stained glass to windows. 1806 charity board relating to bequest of ?10
from Mr. John Barton to"the poor of Little Bromley. Chamfered segmental rear
arches to north and south doorways. West Tower, chamfered 2 centred arch, date
uncertain. C15/C16 octagonal font, the side carved alternately with roses and
symbols of the Evangelists, soffit with 4 angels holding hearts or shields. 4
buttresses to stem, chamfered base. 2 centred stair turret doorway, nailed and
edged door with scutcheon plate and handle. Solid tread lower stairs to turret.
Round headed rear arch to west doorway. Organ loft with 5 shields of arms to
front of gallery. The organ, hand pumped said to be circa 1820. 4 bells. The
2 oldest said to be the work of Robert Burford of London circa 1392-1418, their
legends read "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro Nobis" and "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictom",
the other 2 were cast circa 1898, Bowell and Son of Ipswich to commemorate the
Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM0917527821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings