History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Quarters

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alresford, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8413 / 51°50'28"N

Longitude: 1.0066 / 1°0'23"E

OS Eastings: 607215

OS Northings: 220124

OS Grid: TM072201

Mapcode National: GBR SNW.HBM

Mapcode Global: VHKG7.DZJC

Entry Name: The Quarters

Listing Date: 21 February 1950

Last Amended: 10 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337178

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120138

Location: Alresford, Tendring, Essex, CO7

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Alresford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Alresford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rowhedge

Listing Text

ALRESFORD OFF FORD LANE
TM 02 SE (east side)
3/4 ALRESFORD PARK

21.2.50 The Quarters (formerly listed
as Alresford Hall Quarters
Cottage with Dovecote)

GV II*

Formerly a chinoiserie fishing lodge or lakeside summer house. Circa 1772 by
Richard Wood, converted to a house circa 1951 with an added gable to north.
Probably of brick, rough rendered. Grey slate double range roofs to left
gables, copper felt to central single storey and right dome. The left ranges
with moulded bargeboards to gables. The 2 north gabled bays of 2 storeys,
single storey centre range and square plan lakeside range, this with octagonal
interior. 2 window range to entrance face (north) of small paned vertically
sliding sashes, central 6 panelled door, moulded surround, flat canopy. West
face 2 ground floor Chinese keyhole small paned vertically sliding sashes,
moulded surrounds. 4 first floor small paned casements to left double gables.
The central range with open porch supported by 2 stone fluted columns, left
small paned vertically sliding sash window, right half glazed door. The right
square plan range has octagonal inner walls, keyhole windows to west, south and
east faces, concave broaching to concave octagonal dome of 2 stages. Weathervane
finial. Trellised verandah with concave hipped roof to lakeside (south) face.
Similar features to east face. Interior, the octagonal walls of the dome with
alternate windows and tall niches. Moulded dados, wainscots and ceiling
cornices. 6 panelled doors with brass furniture and moulded architraves to all
rooms. Chamfered bridging joists to central and left ranges, these with similar
doors, dados, cornices etc., as dome. Name derived from reputation that
Cromwellian troops were quartered in the grounds. A painting by Constable circa
1816, now said to hang in Melbourne, Australia. N. Scarfe Shell Guide to Essex
1975. Lucinda Lambton Beastly Buildings, 1985.


Listing NGR: TM0721520124

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.