History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Matching, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7904 / 51°47'25"N

Longitude: 0.1987 / 0°11'55"E

OS Eastings: 551738

OS Northings: 212484

OS Grid: TL517124

Mapcode National: GBR MFR.P1S

Mapcode Global: VHHM8.D8D9

Entry Name: Parsonage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337197

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118192

Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Matching

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Matching

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hatfield Heath

Listing Text

TL 51 SW MATCHING NEWMANS END
Parsonage Farmhouse
3/32

GV II

Lobby-entrance house, early C17, extended in C18/19. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed partly with handmade red clay tiles, partly with machine-made red clay
tiles. 4 bays aligned NE-SW, with original chimney stack and lobby-entrance in
second bay from the SW. Kitchen/bakehouse to rear of NE end with internal
chimney stack at NW gable, C18/19. Lean-to porch to E in angle between main
block and extension, and a rear lean-to porch to W in the other angle. 2
storeys. SE elevation pargetted with combed designs and concentric circles in
panels. Door and 3 casement windows, 4 on the first floor, all C20. Roof half-
hipped at both ends. Date 1595 in C20 pargetting at NE end. Jowled wallposts,
straight tiebeams, primary straight bracing, heavy studding with much re-used
timber, clasped purlin roof. Stop-chamfered axial beams over SW and middle
lower rooms. Common Joists chamfered and stopped over SW lower room,
unchamfered over middle lower rooms, all of vertical section. Over the NE lower
room the joists are arranged longitudinally, unchamfered, of horizontal section,
lodged at both ends, with original stair trap in NE corner. The Walker map of
1609 (Essex Record Office D/DU 25) shows 2 single-storey houses on this site,
and (despite the pargetted date) the present house is not an adaptation of
either of them, being built in 2 storeys from the outset, although it is likely
that it incorporates re-used timber from the earlier buildings. The arrangement
of floor joists is of particular historical interest, showing that even after
1609 plain joists of horizontal section were acceptable in a parsonage house at
the service end, while elsewhere the more socially advanced vertical section was
used, probably lathed and plastered to the soffits in the 'hall', exposed and
stop-chamfered in the parlour. On the roof the mixture of old handmade tiles
and C20 machine-made tiles, both kinds used on both pitches, is out of
historical character. On the SE (front) pitch the lower half is of old tiles,
the upper half of new tiles. on the NW (rear) pitch the NE third is of old
tiles, the remainder of new tiles. There are old tiles on the kitchen/bakehouse
extension. Re-arrangement of the tiles, and preferably roofing entirely with
handmade red clay tiles, is recommended.


Listing NGR: TL5173812484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.