History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inglenook

A Grade II Listed Building in Matching, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7715 / 51°46'17"N

Longitude: 0.161 / 0°9'39"E

OS Eastings: 549200

OS Northings: 210300

OS Grid: TL492103

Mapcode National: GBR LDK.ZFK

Mapcode Global: VHHM7.QQZV

Entry Name: Inglenook

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337198

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118195

Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Matching

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary and St Hugh with St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 407 096 MATCHING THRESHERS BUSH
4/41 Inglenook

II

Small hall house, C16, altered in C17 and C19, extended in C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roof thatched. 2-bay hall aligned approximately NE-SW, with integral
service end at SW, integral storeyed parlour/solar end at NE. Inserted axial
chimney stack in SW bay of hall, c.1600. C20 extension to NW with walls of
yellow brick and roof of handmade red clay tiles. Single storey with attics. SE
elevation, weatherboarded dado, plastered above, with simple geometrical designs
in panels. Plain boarded door in tiled lean-to porch, 4 C20 casement windows.
C20 casement window in gabled dormer in NE bay of hall, with date 1607 faintly
inscribed in plaster of gable. Flat-roofed dormer in extension. Half-hipped at
SW end. Framing partly exposed internally. Jowled posts, heavy studding,
arched braces from corner posts to tiebeams and wallplates inside studs.
Central truss of hall of arch-braced collar construction. Clasped purlin roof
with curved wind-bracing. Rafters, collars, braces and original thatch laths
over hall all smoke-blackened. Original floor in NE bay, composed of
unchamfered joists of horizontal section, arranged longitudinally and lodged.
Other floors late insertions. Blocked unglazed window in NW wall of parlour. 2
NE tiebeams severed for inserted doorways. SE wallplate has bladed scarf and
rebate for shutters of hall window. Brickwork of inserted hearth approximately
33 cm. thick repaired at back. The date 1607 is reasonable for the inserted
dormer on which it appears. The Walker maps in Essex Record Office show that
dormers appeared in vernacular houses between 1600 and 1615.


Listing NGR: TL4920010300

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.