History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in North Weald Bassett, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7252 / 51°43'30"N

Longitude: 0.1636 / 0°9'48"E

OS Eastings: 549530

OS Northings: 205158

OS Grid: TL495051

Mapcode National: GBR MGH.S6J

Mapcode Global: VHHMF.SWBT

Entry Name: Church Cottage

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118234

Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: North Weald St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 40 NE NORTH WEALD BASSETT VICARAGE LANE
4/34 Church Cottage
20.2.67 (formerly listed as
The Old School House)
GV II

Cottage, C17, extended in c20. Timber framed, mainly plastered with some
weatherboarding and some brick cladding, roofed with handmade red clay tiles
and C20 clay tiles. Aligned approximately E-W with axial chimney stack at E
end. Extended to W in C20, with chimney stack at the junction. Single storey
with attics. S (street) elevation, plain door under C20 hood, 3 C20 casement
windows and one more in gabled dormer. E end clad with brickwork, outside end
chimney stack,and painted. N elevation, facing churchyard, weatherboarded dado,
roughcast render above. One half-glazed door, 2 casement windows and one fixed
light, all C20. C20 casement window in swept dormer, C20 casement window in
rear flat-roofed dormer. This may be the school endowed by Simon Thorogood,
fishmonger, of London by his will of 1635, built in 1678, and used as such until
the early C19, when it became the schoolmaster's house. (VCH, IV, 294). Another
cottage formerly stood to the east of it, also between the church and the road,
demolished c.1842 to build a brick school, now the church hall. It has not been
established for certain which of the two was Simon Thorogood's school.


Listing NGR: TL4953005158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.