History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wyldingtree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in North Weald Bassett, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7324 / 51°43'56"N

Longitude: 0.1848 / 0°11'5"E

OS Eastings: 550973

OS Northings: 206004

OS Grid: TL509060

Mapcode National: GBR MGH.CK8

Mapcode Global: VHHMG.5Q19

Entry Name: Wyldingtree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118237

Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: North Weald St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
North Weald

Listing Text

TL 50 NW NORTH WEALD BASSETT WEALD BRIDGE ROAD
5/41 Wyldingtree
Farmhouse

GV II

Large lobby-entrance house, c.1600, with C16 wing, altered in C19 and C20.
Timber framed, partly plastered, but mainly encased in late C19 brickwork, red
with blue bands, Flemish bond, roofed with C19 red clay tiles. Aligned
approximately E-W, aspect N, with central chimneystack of 6 hearths and chimney
stack at W end. C16 crosswing of earlier house to W, and W wing forming an L
plan. Late C19 extension to rear of this, with end chimney stack. Large late
C19 extension to rear of central chimney stack, with 2 external chimney stacks
on E wall. Single storey lean-to extension between this and C16 crosswing, C20.
2 storeys and attics in lobby-entrance house, 2 storeys in section to W. N
elevation of lobby-entrance house, 6 panel door with upper 2 glazed in doorcase
with 2 engaged Doric columns and open pediment. Late C19 bay windows to each
side. 3 late C19 casement windows on first floor and one small C20 casement
window. Elevation of red brick, Flemish bond, with bands of blue bricks. 6
grouped octagonal shafts on main chimney stack. W section has a plastered
elevation, central door and 2 casement windows on each floor, all C20. In
lobby-entrance house, plain chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops, joists
unchamfered where exposed, above ground andfirst floors. On first floor, 2
hearths with depressed brick arches and moulded lintels, with original plaster
to W of stack, stripped to brickwork E of stack. In C16 W crosswing, one plain-
chamfered beam with a single step stop surviving, unglazed window on first floor
with diamond mullions in situ, now in an internal wall. The W house is the
earlier of the two, but is extensively altered, probably used as service
accommodation since the C17. The lobby-entrance house, though of Victorian
appearance externally, is substantially in its original form, an exceptionally
large example of its kind.


Listing NGR: TL5097306004

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.