History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitaker's Charity Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Loughton, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6584 / 51°39'30"N

Longitude: 0.0653 / 0°3'55"E

OS Eastings: 542956

OS Northings: 197529

OS Grid: TQ429975

Mapcode National: GBR N6.356

Mapcode Global: VHHMS.2LW1

Entry Name: Whitaker's Charity Almshouses

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118611

Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Loughton

Built-Up Area: Loughton

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Loughton, St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

TQ 49 NW LOUGHTON AREWATER GREEN,
1/8 (access from Stony Path),
Nos. 1 to 6 Whitaker's
Charity Almshouses

- II

Terrace of almshouses, 1827. Stock brick, Flemish bond, with stone dressings
and slate roof. Half-H plan, consisting of 4 almshouses in a line with 2
entrance lobbies, 2 doors off each (nos. 2 and 3 sharing one entrance lobby,
nos. 4 and 5 sharing the other), nos. 1 and 6 forming crosswings at each end.
Aspect SE. Double chimney stack in middle (serving nos. 3 and 4), 4 other
single chimney stacks, all axial. External porches to nos. 1 and 6 at SE ends
of crosswings. Single storey. Half-glazed doors inside gabled porches at
each end, with stone arches of 4-centred curvature with drip moulds. 2 similar
arches over the 2 entrance. lobbies in main range. 4 windows, C19 wooden
casements with fixed light over, heavy tracery of 4-centred curvature in the
fixed lights, stone arches over as described above. In the middle, recessed
plaster panel with 3 diamonds in irregular cartouche with acanthus border and
mutilated inscription AW 1827. The Charity was established by the will of Anne
Whitaker of Loughton Hall, proved in 1825. (Reports of the Charity
Commissioners, Essex, 1819-1837, p.231).


Listing NGR: TQ4295697529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.