History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist, Buckhurst Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckhurst Hill, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6292 / 51°37'45"N

Longitude: 0.0334 / 0°2'0"E

OS Eastings: 540838

OS Northings: 194220

OS Grid: TQ408942

Mapcode National: GBR MD.TB8

Mapcode Global: VHHMY.J9JX

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist, Buckhurst Hill

Listing Date: 29 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118632

Location: Buckhurst Hill, Epping Forest, Essex, IG9

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Buckhurst Hill

Built-Up Area: Redbridge

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Buckhurst Hill St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Buckhurst Hill

Listing Text

TQ 49 SW LOUGHTON HIGH ROAD,
4/1 Buckhurst Hill,
Church of St. John the
Baptist

II

Parish church, C19. Stone, part coursed, part random, with slate roofs. Nave
consecrated 1837, N aisle, N chapel and chancel 1865, S aisle 1870, extension
and SW spire 1879, W front 1892. The chancel has an E window of 5 trefoiled
lights with tracery under a 4-centred arch, and N and S'windows of 2 trefoiled
lights with segmental-pointed arches. To the W of these on the N side there
is an arcade of 2 2-centred arches with brown marble shaft and capital of
naturalistic foliage into the N chapel, and on the S side a single 2-centred
arch with engaged shafts and naturalistic floriate capitals into the organ-
chamber. The chancel arch is 2-centred and moulded. A richly carved timber
screen has been moved from its original position in the chancel arch further
E into the chancel. The roof of the chancel is in 3 bays with arch-braced
collars. The nave has 2 arcades of 5 bays with 2-centred arches and capitals
of naturalistic foliate designs, all different, except the 2 most westerly
capitals of the N arcade which are moulded. The N aisle is low, with a lean-to
roof, the S aisle high, with a pitched roof. The W window has 5 trefoiled
lights and a 2-centred arch. The roof of the nave is of hammerbeam construction
with arched braces of 4-centred curvature. The glass is of various styles and
dates; one window of the N aisle has glass of Pre-Raphaelite character.


Listing NGR: TQ4083894220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.