History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brownings Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6287 / 51°37'43"N

Longitude: 0.1124 / 0°6'44"E

OS Eastings: 546305

OS Northings: 194318

OS Grid: TQ463943

Mapcode National: GBR PY.305

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.WBS9

Entry Name: Brownings Farmhouse

Listing Date: 28 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337262

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118553

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Chigwell

Listing Text

TQ 49 SE CHIGWELL GRAVEL LANE
5/2 Brownings
28.6. 54 Farmhouse
II

II
House, late medieval and later, extended c.1800. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned approx. NE-SW, late medieval
service crosswing to NE, central section largely rebuilt in C16, SW crosswing
of undetermined date. Central chimney stack, external chimney stacks on NE
and SW walls. Small lean-to extensions on NE and SW walls. To the NW of the
SW crosswing a large extension, c.1800, with double gables to NW and SE, and
NE chimney, the SW side forming the present entrance elevation. The SE
elevation, towards Gravel Lane, exhibits 3 gable ends of which the middle is
the largest, 2 storeys with attic, 2 storeys elsewhere. Each side wing has
a late C19 bay of 2 storeys with tiled hipped roof and double-hung sash windows
of 2-4-2 lights. The middle section has a casement window on each floor. The
main door, at the S corner of the NW wing, is of 6 flush panels with rectangular
light over, with fan and garland tracery of wood, and inside, a wrought iron
grill with radiating spikes. This is set in a recessed porch with shallow hood
on consoles. There is a large stone step with wrought iron shoescraper each
side. All the windows of this wing are double-hung sash windows of 12 lights,
c.1800, with many panes of crown glass. The SW lean-to extension has one C17
wrought iron casement, with later alterations in wood. The NE crosswing, the
earliest part of the present building, is lower than the remainder, with a
queen post roof, and edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the wallplates. The
ground floor was originally divided into 2 service rooms, partition now removed,
but the post rebated for twin service doors is visible. The medieval cross-
entry at the NE end of the central section is still present, with an ancient
door of exceptional width at the rear end, the front end blocked to form a
cupboard. It is not clear how much of the structure of the medieval hall
remains; this section has been rebuilt with clasped purlin roof on a NW-SE
alignment, an unusual treatment. The floor has a plain-chamfered beam with step
stops also aligned NW-SE, and exposed joists of square section, unchamfered,
C16. Little dating evidence is visible in the SW wing, but it may be cl?. The
NW wing has a plain stair, and on the first floor a fireplace of Adam-derived
style and a corner cupboard, c.1800. A report in the possession of the owner by
C. Johnson, Epping Rural District Council, 1970, records the documentary history
of Brownings Farm with all its occupiers since 1468.


Listing NGR: TQ4630594318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.