History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6253 / 51°37'31"N

Longitude: 0.0811 / 0°4'51"E

OS Eastings: 544151

OS Northings: 193880

OS Grid: TQ441938

Mapcode National: GBR P3.73L

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.CD7X

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 28 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1337267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118585

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Built-Up Area: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Chigwell

Listing Text

TQ 49 SW CHIGWELL HIGH ROAD, WEST SIDE
4/17 church house
28.6.54
GV II

House, C17, much altered in C18. Timber framed, rough-cast rendered, roofed
with handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan, consisting of range aligned NE-SW
with 2 external chimney stacks on NW side, and 3 parallel and adjoining wings
extending to the SE, each with one chimney. Single-storey extensions to Ml
and NE, roofed with red clay Roman tiles and pantiles. 2 storeys. SE elevation
(to High Road), 6-panel door, fanlight with radiating tracery and garlands,
doorcase with engaged Doric columns and open pediment, one tripartite double-
hung sash window of 4-12-4 lights, one double-hung sash window of 12 lights.
First floor, similar tripartite sash window and 2 double-hung sash windows of
12 lights. 3 hipped roofs, the middle one wider than the others. Asymmetrical.
SW elevation (to Roding Lane), canted bay of 3 double-hung sash windows of 12
lights, through 2 storeys. Glazed door, small C20 casement window. First
floor, one double-hung sash window of 12 lights. General appearance C18 and
early C19. Internally almost wholly plastered, one exposed beam plain-chamfered
with lamb's tongue stops. Stott states that it was 'for long the residence
of Chigwell doctors'. Occupied by William Copeland, surgeon, in 1813. Bought
by Chigwell School in 1876 for accommodation of masters (pp. 108, 232). RCHM
7.


Listing NGR: TQ4415193880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.